68' Dart Hood clearance w/MP 360 crate engine

-

migsBIG

Reaction score
I have the 360 Magnum 390HP crate engine that I want to drop into my 68' dart GT. DOn't know it that tall intake will clear the hood. I want to run a vintage MP chrome unsilenced aircleaner, so not sure if the hoolly carb combo will clear the stock flat hood.

Has anybody installed one of these engines in this type of car? WIll I need to change to a dual plane intake to keep the clearance low?

I have the 360 Magnum 390HP crate engine that I want to drop into my 68' dart GT. DOn't know it that tall intake will clear the hood. I want to run a vintage MP chrome unsilenced aircleaner, so not sure if the hoolly carb combo will clear the stock flat hood.

Has anybody installed one of these engines in this type of car? WIll I need to change to a dual plane intake to keep the clearance low?

No. You MAY have to give up the tall air cleaner, but my racing partner put the 390HP 360 crate motor in his '69 Dart with a moderate air cleaner and still had half an inch clearance between the air cleaner top and the hood.

He put a Professional Products 180-degree Chinese "Air Gap clone" manifod on in an effort to pick up some mid-range torque and gained only 1/4" more clearance over the M-P single plane it came with. Both had plenty of vertical clearance

I had one in a 68 Dart It should work but will be close. If you have to, you could put a shorter than original air cleaner filter in there and the top should drop down over the base. This would be an easy way to get 1" to 1.5" of additional hood clearance if needed while maintaning the right look with that air cleaner.

thanks for the info guys. I might just get two air cleaners just to be sure. One for shows and one for driving. just have to rember to charge air cleaners when at a show.

-
Back