68 Dart rear window interior trim help

-

68VAHCODE

Reaction score
All.....looking for help in installing subject in a 68 2 door hard top. All I have is a rubber gasket around the rear window......does the trim piece get screwed directly into this rubber gasket?

Thanks in advance!

Greg

Not an expert but, there should be clips screwed into the window opening before the glass goes in, the stainless reveal molding clips on after the window and rubber is in place. I have a 1970, and have read that 67 was a one year only, and 68 is when they started using the clips.

Not an expert but, there should be clips screwed into the window opening before the glass goes in, the stainless reveal molding clips on after the window and rubber is in place. I have a 1970, and have read that 67 was a one year only, and 68 is when they started using the clips.

Is that for the exterior SS trim? I'm asking about the interior rear window mounding.

Thanks.....is that for the exterior SS mounding? I'm asking about the interior rear window molding.

Thanks

Yes, I was referring to the exterior. I have a 1970 and there is metal trim that screws on around the inside of the window. It is a gloss black with a black headliner/ black interior. I would think 68 is the same, I could be wrong.

Is that for the exterior SS trim? I'm asking about the interior rear window mounding.
Yes, I was referring to the exterior. I have a 1970 and there is metal trim that screws on around the inside of the window. It is a gloss black with a black headliner/ black interior. I would think 68 is the same, I could be wrong.

Correct...what I am asking is how this interior trim attaches...screw right into the rubber gasket.

Thanks

Ya know what, I don't think so, it should screw into sheet metal, screwing into the rubber may cause problems. Is it an aftermarket or replacement gasket?

Ya know what, I don't think so, it should screw into sheet metal, screwing into the rubber may cause problems. Is it an aftermarket or replacement gasket? I am heading out to my garage in about a half an hour, I will look at my rear window opening and verify the holes in the metal body. Its been a few years since I took it apart.

Not sure......my guess is aftermarket....if it goes into something metal I'm missing that part.....the search continues.

I took a quick picture. Mine is a 1970 Dart, the headliner is still in, the rear window and rubber seal is out. in the pic, you can see the "teeth" that hold the headliner in, to the left there is a screw hole for the trim, if you count three teeth to the left, the hole is between two and three. From what I can tell, the screw wouldn't go through the rubber, bur right up against it or darn close, or in between the rubber and the metal edge under the headliner. I also checked my gasket, and there are no holes. I am getting ready to do a headliner and vinyl top and install glass myself, so I have the gasket laying on my bench. if your gasket is wider, you may have to go through it or trim it. Hope this helped.
dart rear window opening.jpg

Thank you very much.....I need to find those holes....this helps alot

Greg

-
Back