68 Dart - Where is my Backup Light Switch?

-

MileHighDart

Reaction score
On a 68 Dart, is the backup light switch inside the car mounted at the bottom of the steering column right before the firewall? Or would that be the neutral safety switch.

Problem is I have no backup lights, which I expected since I switched from column shift to an aftermarket floor shifter. Just trying to figure out where to pick up the wires from the old back up light switch so I can wire up a switch mounted to the new floor shifter.

Car is a 68, engine 71, and auto trans is a 74. Neutral safety system is working fine, I think I wired that up to the 74 trans when I installed it.

Any ideas?

Originally, you should have a single terminal neutral switch on the trans.

Backup switch is on the shift linkage---on the column or in the console

did you tap into the original wiring (bottom of column) column shift or console (on shifter under console)?

It's on top of the steering column shortly before it hits the fire wall.

I thought that was it. The new aftermarket shifter under the console doesn't have a switch of any kind on it.
So i think i can extend the wires that went to the old b/u light switch, to the b/u light switch which I just found out is on the trans (74 trans). Had a couple guys on another site tell me that the two outer pins on the neutral saftey switch on the trans are for the backup lights.
So think I got it figured out. Thanks guys, I'll give it a shot tomorrow and see what happens.

OH!! You didn't mention all this!!!!

Ya sometimes details help us to give you the 'real' answer.

-
Back