68 GTS Big Block Air Cleaner

-

68VAHCODE

Reaction score
Anyone have a pic of the proper air cleaner for a 68 Dart Big Block?

Many thanks!

Greg

Here ya go

Attachments

• image.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 291
And they are pretty special....

I have a friend that had a couple of them. To get one - I had to trade a 67 GTX dual snorkel and a 69- unsilenced air cleaner + cash to get the one pictured. You can find them around every now and then. If they don't know what it is somewhat cheap if they do know - open the wallet they don't come around often or last when they do. The bases are seldom with them, but you can cut an unsilenced base to work just fine.

The 68's pie tin should read "Super Commando 383"

There were a number of early run 68 GTS cars that had the larger 67 larger 67 aircleaner. Once they ran out of those aircleaners that started using the smaller air cleaners. This information was provided to me who I would consider a expert on the GTS, Jim Rhinehart (rhinodart).

Here's the larger GTS AC from 67. It's base accomidates the AFB while 68 bases were used with the AVS.

Attachments

• 67 GTS AC.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 216
What even the GTS "experts" are not always aware of... There are two different large diameter unsilenced aircleaners used. One was used for '67 383 engines. The second one with a revised/different top stamping can be found on some of the earliest '68 383 engines, up until production switched to the MUCH MORE common smaller aircleaner also found on '69 383 and 440 GTS cars. I feel I'm correct, since I have one of each to place side by side and note the difference. Why Chrysler tooled up a different top stamping for '68??? I don't have a clue.

Hey thats my car !! And I do do believe it to be original to the car. It is a late 68 GTS. Also the 68 Road Runner I just restored had the same air cleaner.

Here ya go
Attached Images

Sorry, Here

Attachments

• 017.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 146
Its all good . Motor is out of the car now and at the machine shop . Just dropped off a lot of $$ worth of parts today !! LOL

-
Back