68 GTS emblem colours.

-

Hamerhead

Reaction score
Anyone know why there are red and black GTS emblems. Also which go where. My hood has red and fenders and trunk are black. Anyone know if this is correct?

I have never been able to determine why, never seen any documentation on it. I have seen original white and green cars with red letters, everything else seemed to be black. I was hoping by now someone would come out with some proof. I currently have two 68 383 GTS almost survivors in yellow and white and they came with black letters. What color is your car?

I have never been able to determine why, never seen any documentation on it. I have seen original white and green cars with red letters, everything else seemed to be black. I was hoping by now someone would come out with some proof. I currently have two 68 383 GTS almost survivors in yellow and white and they came with black letters. What color is your car?
My car is originally a GG1 dark green car. Been repainted blue.

I bought a new, light metallic green GTS in the spring of '68. It came with black silhouetted letters. When it was repaired from accident damage, a couple of years later, they replaced the letters with red outlined letters. I asked the body shop why, and they said, that was all that were available. I don't know if they were just shining me on or not, but that's what happened to me.

I have no proof but what I've been led to believe as far back as the 80's is that as built they were all black, and that the factory replacement parts in both G T S and "383 Four Barrel" were made in red for a while.

Never heard an explanation.

That jives with post #5

Anyone know why there are red and black GTS emblems. Also which go where. My hood has red and fenders and trunk are black. Anyone know if this is correct?
I kinda doubt that the factory would mix colors intentionally. My guess is that they were replaced on the car you're talking about at some point, for some reason. I do know when I bought my new GTS off the lot, there were two identical-looking GTS's parked next to each other. Same color combination (green x3) on both. They both had the black letters everywhere. One may have had the black bumble bee stripe, but I chose the other for the test drive, and I liked it so well I didn't look any further.

I can see where the marketing dept. of Dodge might specify red outline letters on certain colors, like white, or black painted cars. Maybe eventually, they ran out of black letters, and just used up what they had left, the red letters.

I can see where the marketing dept. of Dodge might specify red outline letters on certain colors, like white, or black painted cars. Maybe eventually, they ran out of black letters, and just used up what they had left, the red letters.
My car is an early production model. Sept 67. I have been looking at images wherever I can find them and have not found any patterns. Watched a YouTube video with Mr Norm and he took the red S and substituted it with the black T on the trunk for his GSS. But I've seen same colour cars with Red on front of one and rear of another.

-
Back