'68 HIPO 340 EXHAUST MANIFOLDS

-

A/MP

Reaction score
Has anyone read or done the testing to see what HP these manifolds were worth over any other 4 BBL factory manifolds?

I would think it would depend on your cam intake, and heads. More flow requires better exhaust manifolds. If you have a high flowing engine the 340 manifolds should help a lot. I think I did see one test on the web??

treblig

I was told the manifolds are capable of handling 400-450 hp before they are the limiting factor.

The expensive ones aren't worth the $ per HP they may provide over the 71+ right side. Whatever you have in HP manifolds is what I would run.

left side 68' - 69' 340 manifold is a pain in the *** for exhaust routing. also, with a mini starter, you need to remove the heat shield. buy the shorty tti headers instead

theirs a Hot rod article on this subject went from 340 to trucks manifolds to sm. tube /large tube headers on a lightly modified eng. you tube is your friend!

I've never had an early Dart w/o fenderwell headers. Strictly track only. My new build will be a 273 that should be about 260-280+ HP and built as a IHRA pure Stocker. I have both 340 hipo and new 1 5/8 fenderwell headers. Thought that the hipo's would be easier than the fenderwells since this build will see a fair amount of street time. I'd like to avoid cutting the trans hump to make room for another exhaust pipe. I was thinking to run the exhaust pipes as close to the rocker panels as possible.

... I was thinking to run the exhaust pipes as close to the rocker panels as possible.
start finding pics of 340 manifold cars and see where the collector dumps and what angle it's at. you didn't say what year your putting this in but on a 67' up EVERYTHING ends up tight where the head pipe connects

good luck

Mike Liston did back to back testing and found no difference.

-
Back