68' Hood Inserts..?

-

Toxic'Cuda

Reaction score
How'dee all...

I've tried looking online for info on this but have come up flat... I have been wondering if there were ever "Hemi" hood inserts offered from Chrysler for the 1968 Barracuda's..? I own a 68' 340 Formula-S Notchback Barracuda and I've been toying with the idea of purchasing one of Chryslers 6.1 Hemi's of today and putting my original 340 aside in my garage... My hood inserts have "340-S" embossed on them. I was wondering if there's any chance that I might be able to find some "Hemi" embossed inserts? Did Chrysler make them? Are they available anywhere that someone here might be aware of..?

Toxic'Cuda...

NO.The Hemi cars had Hemi scoops on them.Never a street Hemi put into a 68 Barracuda.

I don't think so. The 68 hemi cudas had the big hemi hood scoop on the hood, so they did not have inserts. One of the members here who was restoring a 67 or 68 with one of the modern hemis had somehow put a 6.1 label where the 340-s is on your insert. If I find the link I will post it. It was pretty cool looking if I recall.

How'dee...

I just wanted to say sorry for taking so long to say "Thanks"... I drive an 18'wheeler and I'm not home with time to computer'ize to often...

Thanks for your help and info...

...just wondering... I noticed the "Thanks" section on the members info box on the left of the postings... I was wondering how that works. Are the Thanks related to Me giving Thanks,... or is it related to others giving Thanks to the post'er..? And how does one do the Thanking so that its counted?

Thanks...

anyone ever turn their original inserts into "induction" inserts? Open them up via drilling holes or slotting them out and cutting the hood? Im probably going ahead with it as im restoring my 68. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

toxic cuda...
first... PLEASE do not drill or saw up the 68 "340-S" hood inserts you have. they are hard to find AND VALUABLE!!

now then... the 67 and 68 barracudas share the same front end sheet metal and hoods except the 68 has two round holes in the bottom of the front fenders to accept the side marker lights which were federally mandated for the 68 auto model year. the hoods were exactly the same except the 67 hood insert had no numbers but was covered in fins on its entire top surface. it looks bigger than the 68, however, it is actually the same size as the 68s. the 68 barracudas had three hood inserts. entry level barracudas had an insert like yours, however, with no numbers, just three small lateral "blacked out" lines in the center of the insert. the other two were "340-S" and "383-S" inserts.

to make the insert you want let me suggest that you buy two of the "entry level" inserts (the three lateral line ones) and cut the center out and then attach your "hemi" badge either buy welding/gluing a wire screen backplate or a solid backplate. there are literally thousands of these "entry level" hood inserts out there are junk yards, ebay, etc. again, don't cut up your 340-S inserts because if you check the production numbers for those cars, they are much rarer.

hope this helps...

-
Back