68 how do you keep the parking lights on with the headlights

-

Spike

Reaction score
Is it the headlight switch or is it wired that way.
Drives me crazy that the parking lights turn off when the headlights are on.

I don't know about '68 (lots of fed mandated changes between those years), but in 1967, the front parking lights did NOT stay on with the headlights. I actually liked that. If someone confirms that they should be on for a '68, then you might possibly have the wrong switch installed. Either way, I would leave it alone, but that's my preference.

You can make a jumper at the headlight switch - had to do that on my 68 Charger. Looka at a wiring schematic and find the terminal for the tail lights, and the terminal for the parking lights. The parking light terminal will be switched off when the headlights are turned on, but the tail lights are always on. so you have to make a little jumper wire to connect the tail light terminal to the parking light terminal, and it should work.

I think this is only really an issue if you plan on driving with one of your headlights out (the reason DOT made the change). I would embrace the difference. It's what sets your car apart from the rest, and also gives it a cool vintage look going down the road.

I actually converted my front parking/turn signal lights into HID running lights, so I had to do this mod in additon to mounting new turn signals (led signals hidden at the bottom of my valance), and modifying the original housings to accept the HID bulb. IMO, it looks pretty bad-*** driving around with the HID fogs on.

On the Charger, the parking lights turned off when the heads turned on, but they also functioned as turn signals.

I actually converted my front parking/turn signal lights into HID running lights, so I had to do this mod in additon to mounting new turn signals (led signals hidden at the bottom of my valance), and modifying the original housings to accept the HID bulb. IMO, it looks pretty bad-*** driving around with the HID fogs on.

I'd like to see a pic of that.

Here's a diagram. I circled the 2 terminals on the back of the headlight switch that you'd need to connect via a jumper wire. That should do it, and your turn signals will still work.

modification.jpg

I'd like to see a pic of that.

I'll get some pics this weekend. I also converted to HID heads as well. I ran it all through relays and I am using the starter relay stud as the main BUS to power everything - that way it doesn't all go through the headlight switch anymore. No more dimming lights, and as bright as the sun.

Its a function of the HL switch. I think around mid 68 was when the law was changed. A switch from a 69-72 should work and will give you PL while HL are on. If you start playing games with wiring you will have a problem with the HL being on in both positions unless you use one heavy duty diode to keep the current from flowing to the HL side when the PL are on.

Its a function of the HL switch. I think around mid 68 was when the law was changed. A switch from a 69-72 should work and will give you PL while HL are on. If you start playing games with wiring you will have a problem with the HL being on in both positions unless you use one heavy duty diode to keep the current from flowing to the HL side when the PL are on.

Interesting, I always thought my 68 Dart's parking lights stayed on with the head lights............ I did replace the switch...... with a NAPA switch

no true - look at the diagram I posted - the jumper doesn;t affect the headlight terminal, so the headlight function doesn't change. Basically, you tap into the tail light power because it's powered up in both "park" mode and "headlight on" mode.

In addition, the switches are different for both years (68/69), so a new switch won't fit into your harness plug if you switched it. it's not a function of the switch, it's the wiring attached to it.

Interesting, I always thought my 68 Dart's parking lights stayed on with the head lights............ I did replace the switch...... with a NAPA switch

wouldn't make a difference - if it fit into the original harness, it's a 68 switch, and the parking lights turn off - the switch doesn't make a difference.

If you jumper the park lights wouldnt the headlights backfeed from the park lights when parking lights are on. seems you would need a one way diode in the line

If you jumper the park lights wouldnt the headlights backfeed from the park lights when parking lights are on. seems you would need a one way diode in the line
guys - it's jumping to the tail light terminal on the back of the switch, NOT the headlight terminal - it does not affect the headlight function.

here are the wiring schematics for a 68 Dart. Take a look at the diagram of the headlight switch - it has 4 or 5 different terminals on the back - each powers a different set of lights - hazards, parking, turn signals, tail light, ground, etc. The terminal that powers the front parking lights is only switched on in the "parking light" position, and turns off when the heads are switched on. The one terminal that powers the tails and marker lights is powered in both positions. If you jump the two terminals, it will now power the front parking lights in both positions. The headlights are powered by a seperate terminal, so the heads function exactly like they did before.

http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/1968/68DartA.jpg
http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/1968/68DartB.jpg

So really you could cut the front PL wire and graft it on the rear TL wire with a crimp connector doing it the quick and easy way....

mine don't come on in H/L position. danmc77 is correct about the jumper also.

So really you could cut the front PL wire and graft it on the rear TL wire with a crimp connector doing it the quick and easy way....
exactly - that's what I wound up doing, but I did it right at the switch so you can't see it.

My 67 dart park lights turned off with the headlights on, but my 68 cuda stays on with the headlights. I was just under my dash replacing the h/light switch because the rheostat fried, and the harness hasn't been modified. Now if I could just get my freakin dash lights to stay on....... Main harness PC connector is toast.

It still seems if you jumped your parking lights to your headlights at the back of the switch that when you turned on you parking lights the jumper would feed the headlights.

-
Back