'68 Roadrunner help needed in Montclair, NJ.....ASAP!

-

cummins6turbo

Reaction score
Hello all, I've been a member here for quite some time, but mainly as a spectator. I'm located in Pittsburgh, Pa. and my brother is in Montclair, NJ, 07043. He just contacted me and his '68 RR won't start, although it started/ran/drove before being parked. I tried to diagnose it via the phone, and it's tough as he's there by himself. I'm looking for someone in the N.NJ area that could help him out. I don't think it's anything major, as it has battery power and cranks. It should be either ignition or fuel. I usually work on his cars, but I'm not there. If someone that is familiar with these cars is available, and could help, I'd appreciate it. The car is a restored '68 RR, 383/auto. Stock, should be a simple fix. I'd appreciate anyone that could lend a hand. Please let me know asap, thanks in advance.

Not familiar with your specific car, but start with the basics. Fuel- disconnect fuel line at filter outlet, crank engine ,5 seconds should be plenty. (Careful about starting on fire) . If no fuel appears pull filter off and try again, if still no fuel it is probably the pump. If there is fuel you have a plugged filter.
Check for ignition spark at the plugs. If no spark it could be the points/ condenser, or coil.
Hope that helps. You should get more replies from forum soon with more and better knowledge than I posses.
Yote

Very first thing I would do is get a test light and verify power to the essentials.
(Ballast, coil, ignition, and spark check it however you can.)

I told my brother to put a plug wire in his mouth and crank it cause that'll let ya know for sure. :D
(this part is a joke of course)

Update : the Roadrunner is up and running again. Thanks to everyone that responded, or was considering doing so. I'll try to find out exactly what the problem was, if so I'll post it. My brother said after a while, it just started up. Thanks again to everyone.!

Hmm, maybe a jostled loose neutral safety switch? Is happened to me before when I didn't have the proper one just after buying my roadrunner.

-
Back