68 speedometer cable leaking

-

christmas53

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
My speedometer cable is leaking where the plastic meets where it connects to the trans could it be bad or is it normal for fluid to be there.

Cable end may be worn but shouldn't leak from that. Check the speedo gear housing . Its easy enough to pull it apart and check. Jack the car up enough to get to the tranny ,use jack stands. This will shift trans fluid to the pass side of tranny. Unscrew bolt to speedo housing and work speedo gear out . You will loose about a cup or so of fluid so have a catch pan and rags ready . check speedometer housing for cracks or maybe gear itself. check any seals or O rings for splits check cable end etc.

Cable end may be worn but shouldn't leak from that. Check the speedo gear housing . Its easy enough to pull it apart and check. Jack the car up enough to get to the tranny ,use jack stands. This will shift trans fluid to the pass side of tranny. Unscrew bolt to speedo housing and work speedo gear out . You will loose about a cup or so of fluid so have a catch pan and rags ready . check speedometer housing for cracks or maybe gear itself. check any seals or O rings for splits check cable end etc.

Zigs is on the right track. Order one of these first http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mopar-NOS-S...433442?hash=item4af87ba822:g:lIcAAOxyzi9Sjucl Before removing the speedometer pinion housing you need to clean it off, take a picture of the housing so as to know what numbers to line up with the index mark on the transmission when you remove it, as it is adjustable to the numbered pinion gear that is in it. Then just remove it, and install the new seals. reinstall , and clock pinion housing to the mark in photo you took. Did I explain it well enough? It may be helpful to download a service manual at mymopar , but I dont know if they go back that far. If they don't, just download a 1970, as they are all the same.

Thanks for the tip . I made a crimping tool and recrimped the fitting where and that stopped the leak . Thanks a lot

Thanks for the tip . I made a crimping tool and recrimped the fitting where and that stopped the leak . Thanks a lot

Until it starts dripping on your pant legs from the back of the speedometer while you are driving.
Best replace the seal in that thing.

I will pull it out and change the seal . Can you get that from parts house.

Until it starts dripping on your pant legs from the back of the speedometer while you are driving.
Best replace the seal in that thing.

Trailbeast is correct.it would just be like putting a band aid on a gunshot wound. There shouldn't be trans fluid in your speedometer cable . I posted a link in my previous post!

I did mine about 5 years ago seams like there was a o ring and small cork gasket in there. It might have been two o rings. Those parats above from ebay is what you need.

Thanks for the information everyone.

Sometimes the seal wears a groove in the speedo gear shaft and it just will not stop the leak.
In this case sometimes you can double up on the seals if there is room in the adapter for them.
If not, you can put a spacer ring behind the new seal and that moves the seal contact to a different spot on the speedo gear shaft.

Just so you know.

-
Back