68 Twin Turbo Dart

-
We made another trip to the track about a week ago. New converter and it works real well. All runs were done at 10psi and 24 degrees timing and 6500 shift point.

.7psi launch on this one

3 psi launch

6.9psi last run

Yesterday I took it to the local donut shop in Huntington Beach. 40 miles round trip and zero issues. I have some maintenance to do on the motor this week. Then next week it'll be back to the dyno to sharpen the tune on 10 psi and 18psi. Then we will hit the track again at Irwindale to start working on boost controller tuning.

IMG_2042_zpshyfwggqs.jpg

IMG_2041_zpsacxaovzm.jpg

IMG_2043_zpsnjjstb05.jpg

IMG_2044_zpsfkdoux9s.jpg

The pictures in front of my buddies house are from the same drive, I stopped by his house because he and I bought our first houses the same month in 1997. My car hadn't been to his house since the day he bought it. Thought it would be cool to get a shot of that.

Last edited:
Looking good, it's getting there for sure. I'll have to put in test hits big time to catch up lol. Hopefully be up and running here soon. Keep up the awesome job.

That thing looks and sounds amazing! Congrats on the magazine spread! What did it run after the converter change?

Yesterday I took it to the local donut shop in Huntington Beach. 40 miles round trip and zero issues. I have some maintenance to do on the motor this week. Then next week it'll be back to the dyno to sharpen the tune on 10 psi and 18psi. Then we will hit the track again at Irwindale to start working on boost controller tuning.

View attachment 1715324112
View attachment 1715324113
View attachment 1715324114
View attachment 1715324115

The pictures in front of my buddies house are from the same drive, I stopped by his house because he and I bought our first houses the same month in 1997. My car hadn't been to his house since the day he bought it. Thought it would be cool to get a shot of that.

Sweet picture, do you have any of the old green Willys?

A Little update. Last summer we went to Irwindale for match race madness. I had the motor out weeks before because the thrust bearing was toast and the crank was toast as well. I also found a blown head gasket but it looked like it sprung a leak out of one of the cylinders and then sealed back up. Amazing what the Cometic MLS head gaskets can do. Anyways thrashed to get the motor back together and test. On the dyno I made 4 pulls and every pull it wouldn't go past 5200. It would go full lean, the computer was dropping the injector pulse width causing a bad lean condition. So lean in fact that it would just shut off. That was the Wednesday before we were on the schedule to be at Irwindale for Match Race Madness. So I found the distributor was damaged and the phasing was off. I thought that would fix it. It didn't. I made 4 passes at Irwindale trying everything I could to find the problem. Well I never did find it. But I did manage on clean pass for whatever reason. It ran 5.42 at 125 on 11 pounds of boost. Definitely a step in the right direction. When the engine was out I was able to correct a few things and install a bigger camshaft. Now its been 6 months since that race. I took the car apart to fix a bunch of annoying problems.

So it’s been about a year and I have been busy chasing a fuel injection issue. I went to a well known Holley guru and it performed well on his dyno. 730hp at 10psi of boost yet when I went to the track it still shut off mid track. Absolutely frustrated I went back to the drawing board and looked at every inch of wiring. This was after doing extensive pump testing o father fuel pump. I ended up re-plumbing parts of the fuel system. I found a bunch of little wiring things to fix and I added 7 inputs to the Holley EFI and connected the trans brake through the eco so I can use the bump feature of the Holley EFI. This fuel injection really does it all. I ended up not liking the ground side of things so I ran 2/0 welding cable from the battery to a post in the trunk then on to the block, heads and the intake. This ended up being the problem! So I ended up going to Bakersfield By myself because I was sick of my buddies and family coming to the track and watching me flail. So I went by myself. I ended up having the best day ever at the track and it confirmed that I can run this program by myself in a pinch. I made 3 runs. Now it wasn’t as fast as I had hoped. But it ran flawlessly and for that I am thankful. It ran a best of 9.17 at 149. Which is slow but I got some great data out of it. One of which is that the 3.70 gear with 33” tall tires coupled to a 3300 pound car and 730 whp made for a slow run. I almost made it to the stripe in second gear! So I just finished installing a set of 4.57s in it. I am heading out to the track in 2 weeks to see how it runs. I plan on staying at 10 psi for now but 15 is up soon.

D7E5A50B-AD68-45F2-A6DB-59FDF181D9D8.jpeg

6E039BAB-F2D6-454F-915C-0FAD67ADB5D0.jpeg

F6BEF526-52A6-4DFA-9963-02DD8C96001B.jpeg

5DA5F9EC-C349-4855-BC12-FE92D033E963.png

A633E0DC-6962-4646-8AD0-534A9380541A.jpeg

That thing is moving. Very nice my friend. And at only 10psi, with more boost it will be more of a rocket lol

So the motor is out. Did some damage to the bearings. 8k rpm is hard on parts and I made a few mistakes when specing out what I needed. I’m going to fix it and probably run this motor for dragweek at 20psi because of time and money. However I did just order this. It should be here in a few weeks.

ADB91377-FEDA-44F5-981D-3C7ADE850BC0.jpeg

09081572-84F9-4F10-B3CD-467391208318.jpeg

Now I'm depressed...............

Boy that is an awesome piece of machinery

Wow!!! Shoot’n for the moon now! Can’t wait to see it come together.

-
Back