'69 225 into a Valiant with a 170

-

CommieHook

Reaction score
Hey guys, can I ask you somethings? I own a 1965 Plymouth Valiant with a 170ci and 3 on the tree. The motor in the car is trash and I've been looking for another /6 for a while. I've now found a 225ci from a 1969 Dart, which was married to an automatic transmission. Since I still have the 170, will I need anything that I don't already have to drop the 225 in and mate it to the 3 speed manual tranny?
Thanks for reading!

You’ll likely need the oil pan and possibly the oil pickup and extend the exhaust headpipe since the 225 is taller than the 170.

staying with 3 on the tree or going with the auto? If staying stick, you'll need a different flywheel, because of the difference in crank pilot diameter newer than 67.... flywheel centers on that/ and the older flywheel wont go over the newer crank register.

Yes. You will need the flywheel from a large crank register 225. The flywheel on your 170 has the small hole for the early small crank register.

staying with 3 on the tree or going with the auto? If staying stick, you'll need a different flywheel, because of the difference in crank pilot diameter newer than 67.... flywheel centers on that/ and the older flywheel wont go over the newer crank register.

ha! You treed me!

Thanks guys. I guess I'll keep looking for an older 170.
Thanks again!

If you really want a 170 THAT BAD, I have one in really decent core shape I can do a basic rebuild on and you can have a nice one. I'm in Georgia though....that's not too terribly bad a road trip.

I can't seem to find a flywheel that will work, and I'm a little confused about which oil pan and pickup I would need to source.

Same oil pan and pickup. 1968 and up flywheel. Real easy. I have one, but one is all I have (I think) and if it is, I ain't gettin rid of it. I may possibly have anothurn. If I do, I'll let you know here d'rectly.

I can't seem to find a flywheel that will work, and I'm a little confused about which oil pan and pickup I would need to source.
Use the oil pan and pickup from your old engine. Go to "parts wanted" and put a post for a slant six flywheel from 1968 or later. pretty sure you can find one. Needs to be from a car or truck with the car transmission, not the top loader truck trans. Or take your flywheel to a machine shop, and have them open up the large center hole. The bolt pattern is the same.
Another option is to used a 1968 up 273-318 LA flywheel and "elongate" one bolt hole.

Last edited:
Well it looks as if the '69 225ci has fallen through. I'm still actively looking for for a slant. Another question for you guys, will a 225 from an 80's model truck work as easily as the 225 from the '69 Dart?

yup. same thing with the flywheel and youll need the motor mounts oil pan and oil pan pickup that is original to the car its going into.

When you finally settle on an engine, make sure you verify a pilot bushing is in the crank.

That's if the crank pilot bore is even finish-sized for a pilot bushing. If You come up with a '68 or newer mill, best bet is the Magnum brg. insert that fits into the converter hub bore.

You have an oil pan , the flywheel center hole can be machined to the proper diameter easily. The bolt pattern on the early and late 6 cyl cranks are the same .Pilot bushing is an auto parts store item for under 10 bucks. I say go for it.I had one with a machined hole in the flywheel in my 65 Barracuda 30 years ago. it was a 72 motor. It all worked just fine

-
Back