69 340 Swinger Questions

-
Had a 318 4 speed new in '69 and now have a 440 recreation 1969 4 spd totally restored.

I know of 2 other people who had original 69 GTS's and their engines were red as well. My neighbor's original 69GTS was turquoise.

Well I bought MadDarts 402 stroker and RHS heads and i am pulling the matching numbers motor to set aside and I want to paint the motor the correct color? Red or turquiose? The 402 is hemi orange which I like also.

Well I bought MadDarts 402 stroker and RHS heads and i am pulling the matching numbers motor to set aside and I want to paint the motor the correct color? Red or turquiose? The 402 is hemi orange which I like also.

From all the info I've found red was the early 1969 colour and turquoise was later but it could have depended on what plant it was assembled at as well. Apparently the factory wasn't as particular as we are and therefore were more concerned about pushing product than retooling for correct engine colours. I was fortunate enough to still have some of the original turquoise on my engine so it was easy for me. I know 318's were blue and 340's from 72 on were blue. See here: http://www.mopar1.us/enginecolors.html

With an April build date turquoise would be the safer choice.

The turqoise color looks really sharp in these cars. I think because it seems to be a 1 year only color. I wasn't crazy about i at first, but when it is all complete it really looks great with the cast manifolds.

Attachments

• IMG_0627 (Small).JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 68
-
Back