69 904 back up lights

-

steveh

Reaction score
no lights

jumped the two female conectors...and lights come on...wiring should be good

replaced nss and got nothing...grounding function has no issues...starts fine only in park &neutral

thought it could linkage adjustment, but they don't briefly come on when slowly moving into and out of reverse in either direction

am I overlooking something simple here...are folks finding faulty nss thesedays...do rooster combs just wear out??

thx in advance
steve

pull the plug off the nss, put it in reverse and check for continuity between the 2 outside pins. I would bet that the plug is too loose to make a good connection. go buy a new one (not another 40 yr old used one) and replace it. That is what I just did on my 69 Barracuda.

...do rooster combs just wear out??

thx in advance
steve

No, they are turned into a miracle drug (read horribly expensive) called Hyalgan that is injected into arthritic joints to stimulate regrowth of cartilage, but I digress. The comb in your transmission is metal. The end of the switch is plastic. I'm thinking that the terminals inside the wiring harness plug have turned into a greenish powder after 40 some years of undercar nastiness and are no longer conducting electricity. Try 69B-cuda's suggestion. Sounds like he has been there, done that...

fooling with these damn back up lights again...is it normal to get fluid inside the nss electrical connector...

-
Back