69 barracuda 340

-

paul smart

Reaction score
hey everyone my most recent project is a 69 barracuda 340 4 speed fastback and im curious to know how a person would find out if its a barracuda 340 formula s or 340 cuda or a standard barracuda.

i dont have a broadcast sheet or underhoodfender tag.

the vin tag reads bh29p9b135400

some of the options
-obvious 340 4 speed
-tinted glass
-buckets seats white interior
-chrome rocker moldings
-chrome wheel well lip moldings
-pedal dress up kit
-fold down rear seat

again please forgive me maybe some of this stuff maybe obvious but its my 1st rodeo with a a body . thanks in advance:D

I can't tell you what makes it one but if you click the "search" button and enter in some key words you may find out, there has been discussions about the 69 Barracuda-'Cudas before. Sounds like a cool car, got any pics?

You cant tell from the VIN. Option A53 is the Formula S. I know you dont have a fender tag, but it would have.....chrome Barracuda name plate and 340S emblems on front fenders and a blacked out trunk finish panel with a FormulaS badge. Also a 150 mph speedo, and HD rear springs.
Hope that helps

You cant tell from the VIN. Option A53 is the Formula S. I know you dont have a fender tag, but it would have.....chrome Barracuda name plate and 340S emblems on front fenders and a blacked out trunk finish panel with a FormulaS badge. Also a 150 mph speedo, and HD rear springs.
Hope that helps

150 speedo wasnt an "S" option, I believe that was part of the "Decor" pkg. If its a "'cuda" it will have twin hood scoops and I believe a special stripe pkg for that. If you get in touch with member "mathon"(send him a pm) he can tell you a lot about them. Mine is an "S" as well and had drums all the way round and a 120 speedo. The formula "S" badge on the trunk panel is mounted on the RH side. I believe in 69 the 'cuda pkg was coded A56

yes on the hd rear springs its like 5 and a half leafs on 1 side and 6 on the other plus has the 150 speedo it had a fiberglass trunk and hood plus it had the deluxe interior which ive just purchased from legandary it does have drums all around and it does have torque boxes

If the car has been changed from factory there is no absolute way to tell what it was without the tag or build sheet. In '69 you could get the 340 in a plain Barracuda, then the A53 Formulas S option, then the A56 'cuda package option.
Most if not all 340 4speeds have torque boxes, 340 automatics DO NOT.
Any other REAL ways to tell could have been added or taken off the car in the last 40+ years.

What color are the grills?...black or silver
What color is the center of the rear finish panel...black or silver
What emblem is on the rear finish panel?....fish or a round Formula S
What if any emblem is below the Barracuda emblem on the front fenders?....none, fish or 340-S
As i said above, all of these things could have been added or taken off over the years.

bh29p9b135400

B= barracuda
H= high price class
29= two door hardtop bodystyle
P= 340 1-4BBL
9= 1969 model
B= it was made in hamtramck, mi
135400= serial #

Brian

My bet is that if it was born with S emblems they would be still on the car. So if Not on the car its not an S, but who cares? Its the 340 that makes the car. And yes the S didn't always get the 150 speedo.

-
Back