69 barracuda convertible has no dash lights or inside lights when you open the door

-

fuzzman

Reaction score
I can reach underneath the dash and grab the wire harness and pull on it then they will light but as soon as I let go it goes out again. I have no parking lights either. All fuses show good. Should I do the dashboard boggie and see if I can find a loose wire? Where would be the first place to look?Any help would be deeply appreciated
Pat Faley
69 vert
67 notch

The fact that pulling on the harness works makes one suspect a loose connection... unfortunately, on the dash, it probably means a loose pin on the circuit board. I suppose it could be one of the wires in the big multi connector isn't fully seated — the female sockets aren't attached to the plastic plug, so they can come loose independently. Look in the FSM for the pin-out and see which one is for interior lights/instrument lights. Maybe you can reach up and shove it in from the back.

If it wasn't for that, I would suggest the ground on the door switch... corrosion, or new thick paint.

You can poke around if you're looking at what is contacting what.
Or you can do some diagnosing.
Lets start here:
Does the headlight switch turn on the dome light?
and
What does the parking light have in common with the dash instrument lights?
-> How did you determine the fuse is good?

Here's an explanation of the headlight switch and how the parking lights relate to the instrument lights, and the dome/interior lamp circuits.

Here's a 67 convertible with similar issue. Some differences, and the '69 wiring is a little different.

redrawn and pdferized '69 Barracuda diagram here

You can poke around if you're looking at what is contacting what.
Or you can do some diagnosing.
Lets start here:
Does the headlight switch turn on the dome light?
and
What does the parking light have in common with the dash instrument lights?
-> How did you determine the fuse is good?
No the headlight switch doesn’t turn on the dome lights and the parking lights aren’t on. The headlights work.

This all started after a drive I turned on the parking lights and all of sudden my Bluetooth quit working which is plugged into the cig lighter. The turn signals worked but no parking lights. That’s when I got back and checked all the fuses nothing was blown so, it has to be a bad connection or loose wire.
Thanks for the replies
Pat

The '69 FSM wiring diagram shows L8 as stop and tail. That labelling is not correct. L8 goes directly to the B2 terminal on the headlight switch. It powers the parking and tail lights, and through the subcircuit starting at the reohstat the instramentation and radio lamp.
Stop (brake) lights are powered by wire D31, which also powers the hazards.

Now that error ib labelling has been pointed out, I'm not 100% sure if '69 has a dome light power (wire M1) begin at the fuse as the brake light power (wire D31).
If so, that's a change from '67. I owuld trust the owners manual and the labelling on the fusebox.

It's important because we want to identify what the non-working cirucits have in common.
In '67 and I think '68, dome light feed is spliced in at the end of wire L8 (connection at the B2 terminal on the headlight switch)
1716510866007.png

But the '69 Diagram
1716510815648.png

If the FSM diagram is correct, then in your '69 cigar lighter feed X1 and parking light feed L8 come from the same fuse.
1716511153861.png

The fuse list in the 69 FSM says the same.
1716511374261.png

Turn signals are not fused in '69.
Turn signals are on a branch of the switched accessory feed Q2.

They all share the feed Q3 from the main splice. That is hot at all times. If that's loose or has poor connection, that will effect all (Dome, Cigar, Parking, Stop-Hazard). Worse, if it touches ground it will short the battery.

Last edited:
67-69 barracuda the main cable should go from the bulkhead through at least two support clips before entering the fusebox.
1716512510187.png

If the FSM diagram is correct, then in your '69 cigar lighter feed X1 and parking light feed L8 come from the same fuse.
View attachment 1716253665

The fuse list in the 69 FSM says the same.
View attachment 1716253673

Turn signals are not fused in '69.
Turn signals are on a branch of the switched accessory feed Q2.

They all share the feed Q3 from the main splice. That is hot at all times. If that's loose or has poor connection, that will effect all (Dome, Cigar, Parking, Stop-Hazard). Worse, if it touches ground it will short the battery.
I did burn out another chrome ignition box that is the second one in a year. So should I pull the dash and find that splice to check it? Thanks for all the advice

I have had some time to check this. So far I have zeroed it down to the headlight switch. I can turn on the dome light than hit the parking light and it works. I get out of the car and the lights are off. I’m beginning to think it is a faulty headlight switch. What do you think
Pat Faley

Now after messing with this I unplugged the light switch to check to see if there is power to the black L1 and I have power there but the domes lights also stayed on when I unplugged the switch. Now when I push in the cig lighter the domes lights come on so what up with that? They aren’t on full blast just enough to be on.
Pat

Another update found a blown fuse in the cigarette fuse spot changed that everything went back to normal. I think what it boiled down to was a loose plug on the headlight switch
Pat

Another update found a blown fuse in the cigarette fuse spot changed that everything went back to normal. I think what it boiled down to was a loose plug on the headlight switch
Pat
I also found out that one of my cigarette lighter was bad every time you plugged it would blow the fuse.
Pat

-
Back