69 Barracuda in dash tach does not work with electro ignition

-

69KillerFish

Reaction score
I have a 1969 Barracuda. I installed a period correct tach in my dash panel. I have also converted my points to electronic ignition. My tach works upon inital start-up and registers idle. Any rpm's beyond that, it drops to zero rpm. I was given the advice that the tach is not compatible with my electronic ignition. Is this correct? I was told I have to remove the tach (Really not easy to do) and have it sent to someone to convert it to work with my electronic ignition, to the tune of $300. Is there anything I can do to get the tach working that does not involve removing the tach, go back to points and putting me in the poor house?

that's good advise /when the first electronic ign. came out your old tach meters wouldn't work on them ,had to buy a new multi-meter.

Both right and wrong... What you have is a faulty tach. I would bet that it does the very same with points ignition.
Keep in mind that no mfgr will guarantee their tach to be compatible with every ignition system available today.

Send your tach to Redline Gauge Works. Shannon guarantees his work for two years and will work with the electronic ignition upgrade.

The stock gauge is known to fail. I sent mine to him for a couple hundred bucks for the conversion and am very happy.

-
Back