69 Barracuda just clicks when warm and won't start.

-

Cals

Reaction score
If I go for a short drive sometimes its fine but a longer drive will result in just clicking like a dead battery but the battery is fine and stars every time when cold. I have a new alternator, VR and two new batteries in the trunk. Any help would be appreciated.

I would bet money that it's the starter solenoid. Had this issue with a couple rebuilt starters. They would work fine until they got hot, then would just click until the car sat long enough to cool down.

You could try shielding the starter from the exhaust and see if that helps, but more than likely what you need is a new starter.

I would bet money that it's the starter solenoid. Had this issue with a couple rebuilt starters. They would work fine until they got hot, then would just click until the car sat long enough to cool down.

You could try shielding the starter from the exhaust and see if that helps, but more than likely what you need is a new starter.

I have already done that too and I just ordered a new starter for my next attempt.

It could be as simple as a poor ground. All that hthe heat does is to increase the resistance in the circuit. High heat equals lower voltage through the wiring/circuit.

I have already done that too and I just ordered a new starter for my next attempt.

New doesn't mean good. Like I said, I had this issue with a couple of rebuilt starters. I was onto at least my third before I got one that worked. And the starter was the only thing that changed. Haven't had an issue since, tens of thousands of miles driven and years later.

It could be as simple as a poor ground. All that hthe heat does is to increase the resistance in the circuit. High heat equals lower voltage through the wiring/circuit.

Also a good point!

Make sure that the battery terminals are clean - take them apart and wire brush the terminals and then reassemble...

It amazes me, such a common problem that has been adressed so many times,in many forums.
Good batteries,clean connections and tight grounds leave the only thing left is a bad starter. Just one click then nothing else tells me it is battery or cable issue,will click with every turn of the key then voltage at starter needs to be checked, could be just a bad stud on solenoid as thats the solenoid contact. Not enough pull in voltage, like high resistance through neutral start switch.
First test is a jump at the starter itself.

I had two poor grounds and now it seems like it is working fine. Thanks everyone for the tips.

Always check the simple stuff first. Battery condition first. Connections and grounds second. Lastly is parts. This applies to any electrical gremlins like ignition system, gauges, lights, any other items in the electrical system.

If I go for a short drive sometimes its fine but a longer drive will result in just clicking like a dead battery but the battery is fine and stars every time when cold. I have a new alternator, VR and two new batteries in the trunk. Any help would be appreciated.

My first thought is starter solenoid.

-
Back