69 Barracuda Project - Wrong Transmission?

-

JAndrea

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
So I bought a 1969 Barracuda project (factory 4 spd 318) that came with a 383 short block that I intend to build up and use. It also came with a seemingly very nice A833 dated to September of 1970. I originally assumed this came from a 1971 Duster/Demon/Dart A body, but thinking otherwise now. I just noticed in my 1969 Service manual that the tranny shifter mounts are way more forward than the tranny that came with the car. It's definitely a short A/B body extension housing... But is this an E body tranny? If so, I assume it won't come cleanly up through the stock hole in the floor? Thoughts?

image.jpg

image.jpg

Thanks!
Jason

Second picture is an a body 4 speed. From there I cant understand what you want to know. Could be an overdrive a body unit but no way to know by whats said at this point.

Good to know... and that's what I thought, but the 3 bolt mounting screws for the hurst shifter seem much more to the rear of my transmission than what is pictured in my manual. That's what I'm confused about.

It's simple short tail shaft a body. Longer tailshaft B or e body. With some different options on the long ones.

Oh shite... my manual is 1969 in general... i thought it was for Barracudas and other A bodies. So it's simply showing a non-A body transmission. Just starting out in all this... information gathering stage... Thanks again.

The shop manual photo is "other than" A bodies, and pre-70

The 70 B and E body was same length but also had a second (as in two) shifter mounts one for E only, the front one as in the shop manual photo for B,C, and pickups (and I guess vans)

The photo of the orange gearbox is A body

70 / later B/ E body:

b%26e-body-4sp.jpg

The installed length of an A body 4 speed and an A-904 auto are the same

The installed length of a B/E body 4 speed and A-727 are same

Great thanks... I found this pic out there last night too. I'm good to go and know that I have a transmission (tranny on bench pic) that will fit my Barracuda. I know I'll eventually have to find a correct length drive shaft for a 383.

Great thanks... I found this pic out there last night too. I'm good to go and know that I have a transmission (tranny on bench pic) that will fit my Barracuda. I know I'll eventually have to find a correct length drive shaft for a 383.

Or just have one made or shortened. Original 383's had the large U-Joint.

Or just have one made or shortened. Original 383's had the large U-Joint.

That's what I hear. Sounds like a pretty easy undertaking. When it comes time for it I'll just have to get the procedure for taking the correct measurements.

-
Back