69 barracuda trunk seal issue

-

69340fish

Reaction score
Ok I have a 69 fastback. Had the body apart for paint. Installed the trunk lid and adjusted it without the trunk seal. Installed a new seal and the trunk does not want to close. I'm afraid if I take more adjustment out that it will look like crap. Anyone have this issue?

Attachments

• 20150927_160302.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 221
  • 20150927_160318.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 227
on mine i looked to where the seal was compressed from the new gasket.then i took a BFH and a piece of wood and hit it down.. problem solved it's not perfect but it looks real good but its typical on new gaskets to not fit when installed, give it some time and readjust

A good way to adjust the trunk lid is to get inside with a wrench and have
someone close the lid. Loosen the 4 bolts and have someone outside push
the lid down where it belongs and then you tighten the 4 bolts.

Worked for me after hours trying to adjust it on my own.

^^^^^ Yep^^^^^^^^

The Metro Soft Seal I originally used settled just fine with no further alignment issues.

However late this summer I went to a show and the trunk would not open. Turns out the gasket welded itself to the bottom of the trunk lid. I had opened it lots of times all year but the car had sat for a 4 or 5 weeks. When I got it open the gasket was coming apart and lots of it stuck to the Lid. A real mess to clean up. Ordered a Steel Rubber gasket and will get it changed before Gartlits.

Funny you say that because after 3-4 weeks of leaving 50 lbs of weight on my trunk lid in hopes of getting the sof-ebay seal to settle, I had the same problem getting my trunk open. It did tear a little bit but not as bad as yours.

Funny you say that because after 3-4 weeks of leaving 50 lbs of weight on my trunk lid in hopes of getting the sof-ebay seal to settle, I had the same problem getting my trunk open. It did tear a little bit but not as bad as yours.

I never had to weigh it down, it just relaxed on it's own. Car sits in the garage and I leave the door open a lot. It got pretty hot in late July, early August and the afternoon Sun is hard. I think it just got to hot and started breaking down. It was a big surprise when the lid would not open and thought maybe the latch messed up. Much to my surprise it was the gasket and I really had to pull hard on the lid to get it open! I cleaned the bottom of lid with goof off and got all the remnants off, then rubbed the seal down with some seal conditioner I use on my camper slide seals and it has been ok since, but I open the trunk a few times a week now. Hopefully the Steel Rubber gasket won't do the same!

Yes B7 is under rated and looks awesome when done correctly O:)

All I know is that after doing two complete seal replacements there is nothing better than Steele Rubber gaskets period. Everything else I tried including front and back windshield gaskets, side gaskets and trunk and door seals was inferior and ill fitting at best. I settled on my door seals on one car and bought the correct seals for the other and its night and day when closing the door. One you have to slam a bit and the other closes with your finger.

My $.02

Take it for what you want but a few more bucks difference is worth it.

I never had to weigh it down, it just relaxed on it's own. Car sits in the garage and I leave the door open a lot. It got pretty hot in late July, early August and the afternoon Sun is hard. I think it just got to hot and started breaking down. It was a big surprise when the lid would not open and thought maybe the latch messed up. Much to my surprise it was the gasket and I really had to pull hard on the lid to get it open! I cleaned the bottom of lid with goof off and got all the remnants off, then rubbed the seal down with some seal conditioner I use on my camper slide seals and it has been ok since, but I open the trunk a few times a week now. Hopefully the Steel Rubber gasket won't do the same!

Yes B7 is under rated and looks awesome when done correctly O:)

Funny how quickly it broke down....inferior chemical make up. a 40 year old gasket is better than some of these new ones.

B7? That's Jamaican Blue and it is Awesome

My Wife has a B7 car.

I was also talking about the OP's color...Ice Blue. :D

Attachments

• 100_5431.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 175
Sorry bout that I just think of Pams car everytime you post.

Here is the softseal after less than a year. Notice the seam at the transistion is starting to seperate and where material pulled off and stuck to the lid. I have not talked to them snd see no point, already have the steel rubber seal.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 153
Yea I know its pretty generic and I understand they sell the same profile for several models.

Steele Rubber uses the same methods and materials as OEM so it works. PERIOD.

Additionally I would start the seal at the middle of the trunk instead of the side when you do the next one. If you need more tips let me know via PM. You tube is also laden with great tips.

Use only 3m black adhesive and have solvent ready for clean up.....but you may already know all of this. If so its a tip to everyone who did not know.

Good luck.

Sorry to hijack the thread.

Ice blue baby............from fat blu fish

Attachments

• KCI cruise 2013.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 135
Yea I know its pretty generic and I understand they sell the same profile for several models.

Steele Rubber uses the same methods and materials as OEM so it works. PERIOD.

Additionally I would start the seal at the middle of the trunk instead of the side when you do the next one. If you need more tips let me know via PM. You tube is also laden with great tips.

Use only 3m black adhesive and have solvent ready for clean up.....but you may already know all of this. If so its a tip to everyone who did not know.

Good luck.

It was started in the center, I did not show that. The soft seal is sectioned and joined in the corners where the seal transistions from the sides to the bottom edge. It gets a little thinner there before it makes the turn. It is designed that way and that is where it stuck to the lid the most and started tearing apart. Forget what they call it, (maybe filleting). The seal is basically three pieces joined together during manufacturing.

Ahh. That explains why mine ripped in 3 when I removed it.

Either way OP, give adjusting it a shot and if it fails and you get PO'd try SR.

Good luck.

-
Back