69 cuda emblem question

-

4spdragtop

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I finally have my 2 fender scripts for my 69 "S", but the weird thing is, one of them is painted black on the inside, and the other one isnt. Part # is 2901852 for both of them, both have the pentastar on the back as well as another #63259. They are identical in every way except the black paint. And both emblems are in mint shape, paint is great, so I dont think the paint was an afterthought. Any ideas as to why one is painted and not the other one?? I always thought 69 had no paint on the fender script.

Attachments

• DSCF4399 (Medium).jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 259
I've been told the ones that are painted black are for 67 only. This could be completely wrong I'm just saying what Ive been told.

I've been told the ones that are painted black are for 67 only. This could be completely wrong I'm just saying what Ive been told.

That is exactly what I thought too, so I passed up on a few "painted" ones...which Im glad I did cuz this one is mint. But if 67 was painted, how could it share the same part# as 69?? My 69 parts cd has 2901852 as the #, 67 would probably start with #27***** weird......

i am sure that it is not a 67. 67 on the inside is flat not v shape. most likely has something to with what model for 69. barracuda, barracuda s or cuda

Maybe the 'cuda package was silver? and Formula S black? If I recall correctly, one car I looked at in the past was a non-striped 340-S notchback, and the emblems were black inside.

Grant

Thanks DC and OOM, the different models of barracuda makes sense....mine is a non-striped "S" so maybe I will see how steady my paint hand is and paint the inside black.

I freshened up the black paint on my emblems. Just slop slop the paint on there and use your finger with a paper towel to wipe off the raised edges. Not hard to do at all that way.

I know 67 had a longer tail in the Barracuda__ they look like 69 to me.
I think the black has to do with the color of your car.
My car was yellow with black scripts and I have seen silver scripts with darker color cars.

I think the diff is in the last letter....the a the tail is longer earlier.

67 is longer than 69

I have both and there is a diff....on 69 the plain car is silver. FS is black

Correct me if I'm wrong please.

Mop

I freshened up the black paint on my emblems. Just slop slop the paint on there and use your finger with a paper towel to wipe off the raised edges. Not hard to do at all that way.

Good idea, my car is F8 green(dark), so maybe I should make them both straight chrome.

Curious. Does your non-striped S have the 340-S emblem under the script? or the Fishy..

Probably would look good either way with dark green. You can always wait until it's painted then you can see which is better and do the other one then :)

Grant

Curious. Does your non-striped S have the 340-S emblem under the script? or the Fishy..

Probably would look good either way with dark green. You can always wait until it's painted then you can see which is better and do the other one then :)

Grant

Hey Grant, when I bought the car it had fiberglass fenders and the wrong script. So I searched and found some nice orig 340-s emblems and now the correct script(sold the fiberglass) and found some really nice fenders. Maybe I will leave them and see if anyone notices one's painted and one isnt:wink:

I've never seen black inside the '69 script. i have 6-8-10 NOS ones(some in bags). I have a Y2 Sunfire yellow 21k mile modtop and there is NO trace of black in the script, so blacked out for a light color doesn't work here.

340-S emblem on a non S car....factory FACT is a 340 non S car still got all the heavy duty S suspension. I know a guy that has a non-S car that had factory paint from Cali and it has the 340-S emblems, black grills....not sure what tail panel it had when he got it. Of course all of these items could be changed out.

340-S emblem on a S car. From factory would have Barracuda and the 340-S in place of the fish.
BUT if you ordered the 340 sport stripe, i was told by the, "so-called expert", that it would have the Barracuda and fish due to the stripe having the 340 cut out.
BUTT from 2 of my own 383 cars with factory 383 sport stripe, both cars ONLY have the Barracuda....NO fish.

Attachments

• MOD shoot 6.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 165
  • T5 383-S notch in the '70s 001.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 191
  • 383-S blk-tan-red 029.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 198
Doing some checking....the fish and S fender emblems have a very large difference between the centers of the pins. Therefore you just can't take the fish off and add the 340-S/383-S and vice versa. I'll add the pin dimensions later.

The barracuda that I bought from my uncle & he had it since new. It is a 383 S car w/ side stripe. The fenders only have the barracuda emblem & no black on them. The car is green.

Part numbers and paint schemes/colors are not relative. If they were body panels would have different parts numbers.
I've used Testors model paint to fill emblems. Drops from tip of a tooth pick laid and leveled. I'm surprised how well the stuff holds up in exterior applications.

I have seen them both ways. The last 69 I parted out had been sitting in a field for 20+ years, I have had it for 7 or 8 years and it had black on the emblems. It was a non-S car. I have seen too many black ones out there to think someone painted them. I see a lot of both styles on eBay so I think it must be by some package as to which car got what.

Same here... My 383s had the stripes with call out so it only got the Barracuda script. No other holes in the original fenders .

The 69 promo shows the cars with stripes and the 383s emblems . But I believe they were not produced that way. Stripe with callout no badge. No stipe or the thin stripe got the callout.

-
Back