69 Cuda factory disc brakes

-

Taconite

Reaction score
I have a old barracuda with factory disc's. One of the caliper is stuck. It has been a few years since I drove the car. I was thinking wether I should up grade the brakes or stick with the factory set up? Thoughts for those who drive factory disc brake cars?

The factory 4 piston disks ur cuda has are the Kelsey Hayes. U can buy new calipers and rotors or rebuild ur existing calipers. You cant buy the hubs so dont throw them away. They work great once rebuilt, I've done it to mine. Lots of threads about this if u search. Some guys prefer to upgrade to the big bolt pattern disk brakes from the later model a bodies.

Agree. These brakes work great once they are "freshened up". People switch to the later brakes to get the large bolt pattern, not to improve braking, because the later "sliders" are technically a lower spec brake system (though in normal use you'd hardly notice). Just order some exchange calipers from O'Reilly or Cardone.

yes , rebuild them , their not tough ones , o-rings on the bores so the piston wears , not the bores . should not need boring and sleeves like the c body bud disc's .

thanks for the advice! If they work good I hate to spend all the cash on different front brakes.. Plus, new front wheels . I pulled the caliper tonight. I am going to try to pull the pistons and see if they are scored... any tips?
Was thinking two pry bars?

I leave the calipers on the car and pump the pistons out hydraulically.That's the best way. You may have to restrain the unseized ones with C-clamps to get the seized one to move. Do one side until all 4 are nearly out,restrain them, and move to the other side.
I highly recommend braided,teflon-lined front hoses. Very big improvement in brake feel.
I also can't say enough good things about Silicon brake fluid. In 17 years none of my KH pistons has ever stuck again. This was a common issue back in the day.

And they are great stoppers.

Last edited:
-
Back