69 Cuda Fastback change complete

-

VOETOM

Reaction score
After many months, lots of bucks, and plenty of help from folks on here, the interior is complete. I have owned this car since 2-18-78 and when it was first complete, there were no original interior parts to buy. I waited until most everything was available and bought it all.

Most parts came from Legendary but many parts came from Dantes, Jim's, REM, Detroit Muscle Technologies, First Parts, TrimParts, Upholstery Mods and More, and several small suppliers. It was fun and frustrating now and then with parts coming from China (I returned all) and I had to deal with others that were just not quite right.

Looks good now though and sits as poorly as it did brand new!

Still need to vacuum the carpet and receive the new TrimParts' floor mats.

You can see the rear end shot of the VOE mufflers too.

Anyone need my original seat foam and custom door panels and upholstery?

Tom

Int1s.jpg

Int2s.jpg

Int3s.jpg

Int4s.jpg

Int5s.jpg

Int6s.jpg

Int7s.jpg

Ext1s.jpg

Ext2s.jpg

ext4smufflers.jpg

Very nice VOETOM, Job well dun:cheers:

Thanks! I started on this May 1, took till now only because many parts went back and forth to vendors, I was in no hurry, and it takes time to find and fix all the oddball things. It is really quiet to drive with the mufflers in the closed position. It has no squeaks or rattles from the rear at all. I used a lot of insulating acoustic material on the side panels and the floor pans. Everywhere I could replace the 40 year old material, I did.

I need to really thank some companies and individuals and will do so with another post after I have time to "pen" it.
Tom

very sweet car, is that B-5 blue? what size are the back wheels/tires?. can you put some pics of the custom interior you talked about

Yes, Blue Fire Metallic lacquer, applied in 1979.
15" by 7" or 15 by 8" rear, 15 by 3.5" front. Bought the Centerlines in 1979 and can't quite recall.
Here is on sucky shot of the old seats. I can lay out the stuff and shoot it later. It will all go for really cheap!
Tom

interiorcuda.jpg

Very nice fish ! I was born 2-13-78 so you have had the car just about as long as I have been alive.

You have something to be PROUD of. Awesome !!!!

Nice job on that interior! I did the front seats and carpet myself, alot of work.
I was wonderin if those front seat belts have the little labels that have the the part numbers on them. I am looking for both sides of the black bucket seat belts, the ones that have the buckel and the spade sewn together. I would appreciate to know the part numbers of those two assy's, if you chance to have them. Even ones that are not black.
Kim.

Kim, Bill (Upholstery Mods and More) put new tags on my seat belts but he may have my old ones still. Want to call him to ask or want me to read my new ones that should have the same numbers on them?
Tom

Very nice job on that car!!!

You should be proud of that interior work, it almost looks too nice to sit on those seats.

Wow!! One of the nicest '69s I have seen. Awesome color, stunning interior, & those centerlines look killer. GREAT job!!

Thanks for all the nice comments. The original interior color, to the best of my figuring, was the light blue. The dash and carpet were blue when I got it but the door panels had already been covered in school bus blue. It was terribly tacky and cheap looking when I bought it so that is why I went with the twin to the deluxe Cuda 340 set up in my buddy's 69 Cuda 340. He still has it and it still has the black interior in it, all original too. Fast ratio steering, disc brakes AM-FM radio, scoops, stripes, etc.
Here's both in 1979-1980 on what is now one of the busiest highways in our areas.
Tom

Cudas 470_ BlueRidge 1979.jpg

And it is fast for a "stocker" too. Last time out, (1993) it ran 13.60 at 104 with OEM bias ply tires, closed exhaust and a cold air system. The engine has a 68 manual trans cam in it, it has a 3.55 gear, but most importantly, a set of 1991 truck (at the time) cylinder heads worked over by the guy that helped do some of the development work on them in the late 80s early 90s. It has about 10.8:1 compression and rumbles because of that big cam. I was shifting the stock 340 at 5800 and it ran 13.90 at 101, this one runs up to 6200 easily but I do not do that anymore. It is balanced so it is smooth all the way up..

What was really funny was the last race was at a MOPAR race here in KC. My buddy from Chrysler ran my automatic FWD turbo Dodge 600 and I the Cuda. He was running 13.60 at 100 and I was running 13.60 at 103-104. We were in the same class and ended up getting down to six cars. My two, my brother in law in my old 68, and a couple of others. I ended up second against a Charger with automatic, slicks, open headers and 440. We both ran about 13.60 but he was quicker at the lights.

Tom

Here are the parts I removed that I am "liquidating". Might have a buyer but thought others might enjoy seeing what was in it. I will miss this material, it has held up exceptionally well for 30 years!
Tom

DSCN0211.jpg

DSCN0220.jpg

DSCN0224.jpg

DSCN0227.jpg

A real beauty! I hope mine turns out nearly as good.

I had a 68 Dart that had Cobalt Blue interior with QQ1 electric blue paint on the body. I really liked the combination of colors on that car.

-
Back