69 cuda wheels Correct Bs/width

-

Roccos69

A Body Newbie
Reaction score
I am about to get a set of the 17" Coys for my car. This is what they say I should go with. I want to know what you all think. I have a stock suspension and 73+ disc up front. Rear factory drums. From what I have read the 8" rear should be OK. Your thoughts.

17X7" front 4.25BS 225/45/17 tire.

Rear 17X8" 4.50BS 245/45/17 tire.

Anyone have these on a 69?

4.5" backspace is right at the limit you can use without moving your leaf springs. If the tires have a sidewall that`s got any bulge in it you may have some clearance issues.

If you take a look at my Dart, I could have safely gone with a 275 tire if I had 5" BS, I have 4 1/2" BS and I had to do a little trimming of the outer fender lip with 265's. Your 245's should be fine with those wheels, I think its a good combo.

flyboy01 said:
If you take a look at my Dart, I could have safely gone with a 275 tire if I had 5" BS, I have 4 1/2" BS and I had to do a little trimming of the outer fender lip with 265's. Your 245's should be fine with those wheels, I think its a good combo.

How much clearance between the fender lip and tire do you have now?
Any rubbing on hard bumps etc?

Check this out!

MVC-033Sc.jpg

Wow that looks awesome!! You would have laughed. It took me about 5 seconds to realize it was my car. I thought how did he find another black Vert. like mine. LOL Thanks for doing that, now I know I am making a good choice.

Roccos69 said:
I am about to get a set of the 17" Coys for my car. This is what they say I should go with. I want to know what you all think. I have a stock suspension and 73+ disc up front. Rear factory drums. From what I have read the 8" rear should be OK. Your thoughts.

17X7" front 4.25BS 225/45/17 tire.

Rear 17X8" 4.50BS 245/45/17 tire.

Anyone have these on a 69?

Those guys don't know the ins and outs of Mopars.

You can run up to 5.25" backspacing with that 69 wide style sway bar. If you dump that wide sway bar, biscuit motor mount and go with a 73-76 K-member that has a narrow sway bar, then you can go 5.62 backspace.

Anyways, get 17x8 front 5.25+" BS 245/40/17 better braking and grip for a 3500+ lbs car. And I think that's stock Mustang GT (weighs less than your car) tire size with LOTS of choices. Kumho is a very good performance for the value.

4.25 is stock backspacing on a 15" rim. I run 15x8 with 4.5" backspacing. At 4.5" backspacing the rim comes close to the upper stock A-arm. What these Chevy rim guys don't know is that a 17" rim has a bigger diameter so the A-arm is no longer in interference. The 17" will go OVER the A-arm and ball joint. Helpful to have flat topped upper ball joint though.

You could even run 17x9 front with 5.62 backspace 275/40/17 but you have to cut/roll the front bottom edge of the fender 3/4" by 3" triangular section. In the rear you max out at around 4.5 backspacing. 67-69 But Cuda have more outward room than darts.

Here's a 68 Cuda with 17x9 fronts: www.drconemangler.com

Useful info. I am going to have make sure before I order the rims.

Thanks,

Mike

Read this thread too. http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=3548948&an=0&page=1&gonew=1#UNREAD

Follow a lot of what Clair Davis has to say. He's put a lot of effort and thought into this subject.

Also this guys says:

"I have 17 x 8 wheels with 4in backspace and 245/45/17 tires on my 68 barracuda. No rub runs and looks good.
http://www.christiancarclub.com/Members/Scarborough/Scarborough.htm "

That doesn't sound like enough backspace to me. Sound like he has stock mustang 17x8 rim that, IIRC, are 5.62 backspace. So I'm pretty sure he run spacers up front. And the website say he runs 235/45/17's.

-
Back