69 Dart 2 door passenger door rattle.

-

71twister3bytheknee6

Reaction score
I need expertise...My pass. door is pretty much alligned,with good spacing,lines,etc.My striker post is fine,no metal fatigue around it,and it can be adjusted.My hinges have very little wear.The push down lock button locks as it should,with the key outside,or you inside with the door shut.The door opens and closes fine,but it can be pushed in another 1/8 inch past the proper in-out allignment of the rear part of the door.Needless to say this causes a major rattle over bumps.I thought it might be due to compressed,worn upper and lower black bumper stops on the door.I checked this out on my drivers door,removing the stops alltogether,and the door stayed put,not moving a fraction of an inch when pushed in.I could fix the rattle by putting oversized bumper stops on the door,but I wouldn't be fixing the problem.Is the latch mechanism that catches the striker post worn?I did lubricate the mechanism with white lithium aerosol grease.Any help would be greatly appreciated.The latch mechanism to me looks like a real puzzle/nightmare.

try this...with either door open, use a piece of material simiar to the stricker post to operate the latch. Many of them close in 2 stages/clicks. If the stricker position is wrong at the pess' door that latch may be going to only the first click. Just a wild guess.
The earlier hard square jamb bumpers were redisned for later models. The later are taller and sort of D shaped, fit the same rectangle in the door.

Thanks PoissonDart74,and Redfish for your suggestions.Later in the week I'm going to look at the problem again.I do have an extra striker post which i'm going to feed into the driver's side and passenger side latches to see if their is any difference in the way they lock up.This is a great site,with knowledgeable,helpful people.If there isn't any difference,then I'm going to vulcranize 1/8 inch thick smooth black rubber sheeting onto the the C shaped outside of my D shaped door bumper stoppers.Thanks.

-
Back