69 dart 225 1bbl...fuel dumping

-

tiltedsix

Reaction score
:banghead: fuel dumping....so it want s to run but by the time 3-4 rotations its flooded for the day...holley #1920 1bbl...got float very low..,needle moves freely..the consensus is fuel pressure ..can I do it with out it running?....between pump and filter I put a cut off valve to manually control pressure...got fuel line about 65% restricted ...visibly not flooding as bad but enough to flood engine... same problem even with new carb...happened out of the blue 2 weeks ago....Oregon coast, vapor lock maybe ??

You are regulating flow, not pressure with your cutoff valve. Measure fuel pressure, if too high add regulator, or try new fuel pump. If pressure is in spec, consider replacing float.

I agree that a throttling valve will not work since the carb requires a widely varying flow rate between idle and WOT. It sounds like you are guessing on what the fuel level is when running. I think you can remove the economizer (3 screws on top) to see down into the fuel bowl when running. The most common cause of flooding is a bad needle or debris on the tip, however you tried a new carb. If too much pressure is forcing the needle open, you can fix w/ an in-line regulator. Most I have seen have a round knob with several settings, sold under many brand names. I have one on my 65 Dart currently. Some other types (3 port) require a return line to the fuel tank.

-
Back