69 Dart 340 Swinger

-
Thanks a LOT Longgone!

Steve, sure! Ship the car here with a blank check, and I'll get started as soon as this one is done! :D

Thanks all for the words of encouragement!

George

Hey George that dash is lookin very nice - I have an extra lighter
if you havnt found one - its not perfect - but good useable shape and
correct - email me if you want it.
Bill

I didn't get much done last week being sick with the flu, but I did get the L/F brake assembly restored.
Disassembled, cleaned, removed rust with Navel Jelly, rebuilt the wheel cylinder, new shoes, new spring kits, cleaned and repacked the wheel bearings and replated the original hardware.
There are some very generous members here that went out of there way to get original parts for this car. I thank you from the bottom of my heart for helping me.
The original castle nuts are on there way, but we still need both lower ball joint boots.
I also need to replace the dust caps if anyone has an original set of those in good shape! :D
Thanks for lookin!

George

RF brake assembly 001 (Small).jpg

RF brake assembly 002 (Small).jpg

RF brake assembly 003 (Small).jpg

RF brake assembly 004 (Small).jpg

RF brake assembly 005 (Small).jpg

RF brake assembly 007 (Small).jpg

RF brake assembly 008 (Small).jpg

Lookin real good George. I would like to see that car in person sometime. Keep up the good work!

Thanks Mike.
Maybe one day we can meet at Chrysler Carlisle.
Thanks for the help too.

George

That is looking sweet!! You are doing a great job. The black stuff that you found on the inside of the trunk is actually the sound deadener that they sprayed to reduce road noise. They put it on kind of heavy on the inside of the 1/4 panels and around the spare tire well. It went on before the paint. The bottom of the car usually had a coat of primer and the only paint was basically just overspray from when they sprayed the body color. Back then. they were not concerned about how it looked underneath and they still are not.

Thanks Dave.
Yes, there is a lot of sound deadener on the inside of the 1/4 panels inside the trunk, as well as between the frame rails up by the rear upper shock mounts, but there was none on the spare tire well.
The original black primer was under the car from the dip process at the factory in Los Angeles. I simply cleaned it, and resprayed it the same color.

Chuckwagon,
I bought this car in high build primer with the bodywork already done. It had been sitting in that condition for close to 2 years, so although I didn't have to do any bodywork, I did have to go over the body and reprime/seal it which I did. The car was stripped to bare metal by the previous owner who is a body shop owner.
To answer your question I will offer this info. I own a 1990 Dodge W250 pickup truck and the original paint started to peel in 2005, so I stripped it to bare metal and refinished it in 2006. I used 2.5 gallons of Aircraft Stripper on the truck, and it took about a month to get all the original paint and primer off the truck. The stripper smells aweful, so it must be done with the garage doors open and please observe all safety warnings.
The truck didn't need any bodywork other than fill a very few door dings, and I resprayed it with an enamel paint with a urethane clear. I plan to use the same paint system on this car.
If you look closely at the picture of the finished dash assembly, you can see the rear stripe on the bed of my truck in the background. I put on a stripe similar to the super bee, but it says "super ram".

I should have a few pictures tonight to post to the board as I got some parts refinished, and a set of new bumpers for the car.

Thanks for the comments!

George

Thanks Longgone!
I'll look around his store tonight. I gotta go clean the garage; its a mess! LOL

George

Hey George, Man the car is looking great. Check my gallery: 69swinger340 Coming out of the barn onto the street. I'll be cruising down to Trumbull in late May to show mine and see yours. Stay Well. Jim.

Jim!
Your car looks fantastic!
PLEASE bring it by here. I'd love to see it.
What city are you in? I'm real close to Monroe line.
PM me when you're ready and I'll get you a phone number and directions.

Nice job on the car Jim!

George

George - Did you camera break? We could take up a collection - How am I supposed to make any peogress without money or inspiration!! :angel9:

Wow my spelling stinks -- better get another Beer!

Bill,
You were close man; my whole computer crashed and burned......and I lost all the restoration pictures I had of the Dart. :(
Anyway, back to business.
I was busy this past weekend; I paint the car! Y4 gold poly metallic enamel, with a urethane clear over it. Now to rub it out. That shouldn't take too long, but I bet at least 2 or 3 weeks.
Here are the latest.....

George

small69 Dart paint 4-05-2008 031.jpg

small69 Dart paint 4-05-2008 034.jpg

small69 Dart paint 4-05-2008 037.jpg

small69 Dart paint 4-05-2008 043.jpg

small69 Dart paint 4-05-2008 052.jpg

small69 Dart paint 4-05-2008 061.jpg

small69 Dart paint 4-05-2008 064.jpg

small69 Dart paint 4-05-2008 066.jpg

Bee a you tea full !!! That Dart of yours is going to look so good when it`s all put together, WOW! George, you are doing one hell of a nice job on it. Every detail has been gone over so meticulously. Excellent!

George - DUDE - that looks fantastic!! did you paint that nice in your garage? I wish I lived closer to you I could use to learn some of them skills you got.
Keep up the great work buddy!!
Bill

-
Back