69 Dart 5.7 "Butters" Build

-

Dantra

69 Dart.. AKA Butters
Reaction score
EDIT **This thread is dead.. I found a deal on a 6.4, so the 5.7 is off to the corner

I finally decided on this winters project and pulled the trigger on a 5.7 Eagle, to begin building Butters a new power plant. Was this or paint and body. Ick! So I figured I'd start a thread to cover the process.

The plan is to switch to a car front cover so I can run a 6.1 intake, 6.4 non MDS cam/lifters, Holley mid sump pan, Hellcat oil pump etc. I'll also be running Mopar performance valve springs... at less than $5 each, it's great bang for the buck ..(68277306AA good for .625 Lift) I run this combo, with the exception of the intake in my other swap (64 A100 P/U) and love it. The reason for the 6.1 intake is I'm hoping to achieve a little more AC line clearance at the firewall.. If it doesn't then I'm on to plan B. This is a driver and plan to keep it modest with the ability to have a little fun at the track when the urge hits.

All of this is happening on a slant 6 K frame and I'll be using my 904 (after it's checked) along with a Bouchillon Gen lll Torqflight kickdown kit. I'll also be running PS.. I'll probably go with the Holley low pressure add on. Keeping PB as well. Still need to figure which exhaust manifolds to go with.

I've not done an A body swap before and I've read alot of threads here on it.. But I'm open to pointers and advice. there's a few of of you that I'm really hoping that I can lean on.

I've used Mopar Crate Harness in the past.. mostly because I got a killer deal on it. But it was a really nice kit to work with. Open to other options but probably won't make a decision until after the motor is dropped in..

Few pics of Butters and what's coming...

20230722_184826.jpg

20230730_165806.jpg

20231105_165209.jpg

20231106_181551.jpg

20231106_181645.jpg

20231106_181653.jpg

20231106_183430.jpg

20231106_183419.jpg

Last edited:
Solid plan on the engine mods. You'll want to find 2011 Durango for exhaust manifolds. They turn down and clock just right. And have the big outlet. I have personally fit these on a 73 Scamp with a manual box.

Solid plan on the engine mods. You'll want to find 2011 Durango for exhaust manifolds. They turn down and clock just right. And have the big outlet. I have personally fit these on a 73 Scamp with a manual box.
I just sent you a message, right before seeing this lol. I thought you used the Jeeps 09-10... they're probably same for several years tho

I just found that the left side Ram is the same manifold... So I just need a right side Jeep/Durango

2011 DODGE DURANGO 5.7L V8 Exhaust Manifold | RockAuto

Last edited:
Had some parts show up today.. Holley is, gaskets, head bolts, timing chain, hellcat pump, right side exhaust manifold. Also grabbed a 6.1 intake.

Got the engine degrease and stripped down to a shortblock. Before tearing down, I experimented with 6.1 intake using the truck cover... Even tho my original plan was to switch to a car cover.

Rotated the TB 90° and clearanced the housing. It'll work no problem. Once I had the housing off, I found it was plenty thick enough in that area to root out a little more. Just not sure I care for the truck housing look. I kinda do but I kinda don't. It would certainly save me some $$ tho

20231111_163043.jpg

20231110_172605.jpg

20231110_172613.jpg

20231110_172621.jpg

20231110_172630.jpg

20231110_173435.jpg

20231110_173450.jpg

20231110_173546.jpg

Last edited:
I just sent you a message, right before seeing this lol. I thought you used the Jeeps 09-10... they're probably same for several years tho

I just found that the left side Ram is the same manifold... So I just need a right side Jeep/Durango

2011 DODGE DURANGO 5.7L V8 Exhaust Manifold | RockAuto
You just save me some cash. I have a pair of ram manifolds. I only need one Jeep/Durango as well.
Thank you.

Had some parts show up today.. Holley is, gaskets, head bolts, timing chain, hellcat pump, right side exhaust manifold. Also grabbed a 6.1 intake.

Got the engine degrease and stripped down to a shortblock. Before tearing down, I experimented with 6.1 intake using the truck cover... Even tho my original plan was to switch to a car cover.

Rotated the TB 90° and clearanced the housing. It'll work no problem. Once I had the housing off, I found it was plenty thick enough in that area to root out a little more. Just not sure I care for the truck housing look. I kinda do but I kinda don't. It would certainly save me some $$ tho

View attachment 1716165425

View attachment 1716165427

View attachment 1716165428

View attachment 1716165429

View attachment 1716165430

View attachment 1716165431

View attachment 1716165432

View attachment 1716165433
Nice toys ya got there.

You just save me some cash. I have a pair of ram manifolds. I only need one Jeep/Durango as well.
Thank you.
That's great! I bought a new one off ebay for $70 shipped and was here in 2 days. Oddly it jumped to 80 after I bought it.

It looks exactly like the left side

Well, change of plans...

I came across a helluva a deal on a 6.4 yesterday, out of a 2019 Charger with 32k miles. Couldn't pass it up and now the 5.7 is off the stand and in the corner. The deal on the 6.4 was good enough that it may actually save me some money. Took a few pics.. even stock the Holley pan and 6.1 intake on for a smile. I like it.. ALOT

I'll have some stuff for sale soon.. 5.7 shortblock, eagle heads, exhaust manifolds etc.

20231112_182229.jpg

20231112_174105.jpg

20231112_183425.jpg

20231112_183433.jpg

Well, change of plans...

I came across a helluva a deal on a 6.4 yesterday, out of a 2019 Charger with 32k miles. Couldn't pass it up and now the 5.7 is off the stand and in the corner. The deal on the 6.4 was good enough that it may actually save me some money. Took a few pics.. even stock the Holley pan and 6.1 intake on for a smile. I like it.. ALOT

I'll have some stuff for sale soon.. 5.7 shortblock, eagle heads, exhaust manifolds etc.

Sweet deal. I would jump to a 6.4 too if the right deal came along.

Which manifolds are you selling? I have headers so not looking for any, just want to make sure you don't think the 6.4 manifolds will fit.

Sweet deal. I would jump to a 6.4 too if the right deal came along.

Which manifolds are you selling? I have headers so not looking for any, just want to make sure you don't think the 6.4 manifolds will fit.
I'll be selling all maniifolds I have lol.. Durango and SRT. I don't see any way around doing headers

it would be really cool to see two pictures if possible, from the side of the motor with both of the Durango manifolds on. it sure doesn't look like they clear the firewall. can you take a few minutes and do that for us all.

it would be really cool to see two pictures if possible, from the side of the motor with both of the Durango manifolds on. it sure doesn't look like they clear the firewall. can you take a few minutes and do that for us all.
The right side manifold that's pictured bolted to the motor is a truck manifold.. scrap.

The manifolds on the bench are the same manifolds that 408 Swinger is running on the 73 Scamp. Left side is Ram/Jeep/Durango and the right is Jeep/Durango according to the part # interchange.. So I only had to buy 1 (right) manifold since this was a truck engine.

I've pushed the 5-7 to the side for now (for sale) since I'm now doing a 6-4, but if you'd really like to see them bolted on a block, I can stick them on and grab a few side shots. I have them listed on FB MP right now, since I won't be using them anymore.. The 6-4 is gonna need Headers

I've pushed the 5-7 to the side for now (for sale) since I'm now doing a 6-4, but if you'd really like to see them bolted on a block, I can stick them on and grab a few side shots. I have them listed on FB MP right now, since I won't be using them anymore.. The 6-4 is gonna need Headers

Guessing you want headers due to the 6.4 output, correct? Because the manifolds will bolt to the 6.4 just fine, the 5.7 Eagle and 6.4 have the same exhaust ports. It will certainly cost some power, but it's not like they won't bolt on.

Not arguing against going with headers, just making sure.

Guessing you want headers due to the 6.4 output, correct? Because the manifolds will bolt to the 6.4 just fine, the 5.7 Eagle and 6.4 have the same exhaust ports. It will certainly cost some power, but it's not like they won't bolt on.

Not arguing against going with headers, just making sure.
I was tempted to use them and save a grand.. But I just can't make myself do it.

I was tempted to use them and save a grand.. But I just can't make myself do it.
While you are doing this, you might as well go "all in". I second the long tube headers.

I'm actually torn between long tubes or shorty... both have their own advantages

I didn't even realize they made shorty G3 swap headers. Had to go look them up.

Just a thought, but I doubt the shorty headers are much (if any) worse than the OEM 6.4 exhaust manifolds and the 6.4 made 485 HP with those.

I didn't even realize they made shorty G3 swap headers. Had to go look them up.

Just a thought, but I doubt the shorty headers are much (if any) worse than the OEM 6.4 exhaust manifolds and the 6.4 made 485 HP with those.
That's kinda what I was thinking as well. The SRT manifolds do have a 3" outlet but that get gets choked down anyway. This has been one of my hardest decisions because I'm like "more power!" but it's not like I really need it.

Other thisng is the ceramic worth 200 bucks..ceramic has a warranty. Bare does not

Here's a TTI link for a pic of the shorties mounted up

https://www.ttiexhaust.com/Classics-Hdr/6417825-Shorty/6417825.pic01.jpg

That's kinda what I was thinking as well. The SRT manifolds do have a 3" outlet but that get gets choked down anyway. This has been one of my hardest decisions because I'm like "more power!" but it's not like I really need it.

Other thisng is the ceramic worth 200 bucks..ceramic has a warranty. Bare does not

Here's a TTI link for a pic of the shorties mounted up

https://www.ttiexhaust.com/Classics-Hdr/6417825-Shorty/6417825.pic01.jpg

No one “needs” more power… but who are we kidding… we WANT more power… if it’s a fitment thing, then I get it, if it’s $$, you’re in the wrong hobby. Just my $.02

No one “needs” more power… but who are we kidding… we WANT more power… if it’s a fitment thing, then I get it, if it’s $$, you’re in the wrong hobby. Just my $.02
The shorties with mids is actually more... So it's not really about $$. I just have to be smart about the money or thus will be a forever winter project

-
Back