69 Dart/Barracuda 340/383 tail pipe size?

-
Here is a pic of the NOS tail pipes I bought in January...

69 Dart tail pipes.jpg

They knew what to do and how to do it for sure. The mufflers have holes, the tailpipes have holes, and the tips have holes. They knew to get the water out as soon as they could to protect the system during short trips. Tom

Great news regarding Gardner… I was calling them for the last couple of years regarding 383 A exhaust! Unfortunately I could not wait any longer.

Cool to see to original style tail pipes being reproduced for the folks that want that original part.

Hope these add to what the previous posters have explained. Front section is 2.25" OD and the 1.875" OD tips fit inside the tailpipes' outlet.
I agree that stock ones were 2.25" and the tips fit inside the tail pipe.
Well I took a close look at my NOS pipes today, they are 1-7/8" OD and 1-3/4" ID. They do not have slots where the tips go in, so I don't know what the pipes are above. I bought these pipes in the late 80's and they had the part number on them that matched the 1969 Mopar parts catalog. The last pic is the reducer I had to use to make them work with the mufflers Accurate sent me. There has never been exhaust through these pipes, they were on my 69 383 GTS that burned in my garage, that is why they look bad. The tips and pipe hangars are NOS also...

View attachment 1715961573

View attachment 1715961574

View attachment 1715961576

View attachment 1715961578
I have got to think that if you have an NOS system with pipes that small, there has to be some sort of an error. NOS stuff is not always what it is cracked up to be.
NOS can differ from Factory Assembly-Line Installed.

For a reproduction part, good assembly line take offs should also be examined.

Tom said his tailpipe was "stock" off his 69 340 (Barracuda). So I'm taking that as an original assembly-line part, taken off.
A lot of people don't know that NOS parts can be WRONG and/or be correct but fit poorly. For instance, a 69 Barracuda is going down the assembly line in 1969, and the RF fender just will not fit. That part would not be thrown away. It would get sent to a Chrysler parts warehouse and sold as a new Chrysler part. Whoever bought it would likely do the necessary tweaking to get it to fit. OR that part sat around somewhere for 50 years and is sold as an NOS part. You pay $1,000 on an NOS fender that fits poorly. If you are paying a shop to do the restoration $100 per hour, and they spend 6 hours getting it to fit nicely, that's another $600.
Everything I have EVER read or heard states that the pipes are 2.25" ID. If he has NOS pipes that are that much smaller, I think something is fishy.

the Accurate Liimited tailpipes are 2 1/4 unless you ask for something else.

IMHO if you want something smaller it would be more straight forward to just stuff a rag up the tailpipe
I have to disagree with that regarding stock or close to stock builds. Although I would probably use something larger "just because" that's what "I" would do. lol

Cool to see to original style tail pipes being reproduced for the folks that want that original part.
Very true, especially since parts for Mopars have lagged behind everyone else for decades. Look at what the Chevy guys have access to. <rolls eyes> lol

The pipes are 2.25" OD as they fit inside the mufflers. :). But the tipshave to fit inside them so hence the reduction. And, clearance for springs and frame was important so they used the flats and smaller pipes.

I applaud the guys that take the time and effort to restore their cars close to original. I suppose these exhaust
discussions will go on forever.In my limited experience i've found the factory usually got it right and after market pieces quite often are a step backwards for all around street driving.

I applaud the guys that take the time and effort to restore their cars close to original. I suppose these exhaust
discussions will go on forever.In my limited experience i've found the factory usually got it right and after market pieces quite often are a step backwards for all around street driving.
As do I, but I also applaud the guys that go to the trouble to get a complete 3" system to fit and work correctly, without hitting anything or getting too close to something to melt it or cause a fire. It's not as easy as people think to modify these old cars. Those factory engineers were pretty smart.

The pipes are 2.25" OD as they fit inside the mufflers. :). But the tips have to fit inside them so hence the reduction. And, clearance for springs and frame was important so they used the flats and smaller pipes.
Yes and had to make sure cars could be thrown together quickly on the assembly line and not have pipes hitting frame, gas tank, leaf springs etc. So the small pipes with pinches restrict flow to some extent but were ideal for a production car assembly line purposes.

My '69 Barracuda tips if it helps. The inlet OD is 1.875" per my caliper............

1695419071773.png

1695419117822.png

And, when you measure the inlets ID, it is about 1.5 to 1.6" right Dave?

Sounds correct. The factory guys did all of us favor by making the tips from some serious heavy gauge material but they are a bit of a choke point!

-
Back