69 Dart Custom

-

jason's duster

Reaction score
Hi everyone I just purchased a 69 Dart "custom" and have researching it but I am looking for a little more insight on the difference between a Swinger, Custom, GT, and GTS. It is a numbers matching 340 4 speed with 8 3/4 sure grip rear and 4.10 gears. Thank you in advance for any help.

Do you know a reliable vin decoder? I'm getting 2 different results. One says second letter is dart custom other says the H stands for high. But my fender tag says medium. Slightly confused. Thank You.

Hi everyone I just purchased a 69 Dart "custom" and have researching it but I am looking for a little more insight on the difference between a Swinger, Custom, GT, and GTS. It is a numbers matching 340 4 speed with 8 3/4 sure grip rear and 4.10 gears. Thank you in advance for any help.

No such thing as a 69 Dart Custom 340 4-speed, the biggest engine you can get in a Custom is a 318. Swinger is LM23, Dart GT is LP23, Dart GTS is LS23, and Dart Custom is LH23. They will have "Custom" badges on the upper door frame and "Dart Custom" aluminum side trim going the length of the car. They are all bench seat cars too.

Ok my bad I was wrong. I was having a hard time finding info I needed. The Vin code is LH23P9B Dart GT 340 numbers do match. That’s why I asked the pros. Thanks again everyone.

Your LH23 is still a Custom? Perhaps show us a shot of the VIN and fender tag and the stamping on the engine.

95CC747E-FB6E-49C4-B694-B438E3D200A4.jpeg
8CEDB9B5-7157-49A7-B99B-E864B3954B46.jpeg
According to the response from Hemissdart my understanding is the lp23 is a GT not a custom.

Looks great. I think that is a 1968 grill though. Does it have a Dodge emblem in the center of the trunk above the lock? I ask because my /6 Swinger appears to have had it there.

Nice car. But I would be leery of those two inside, especially the driver.

(Yes it has a '68 grille.)

From MyMopar site:

LM23:
Dodge Dart,Demon
Medium
2 Door Hardtop

P98: 340 275HP 1-4BBL 8 CYL
Export

234151: Sequence number

E55: 340 cid 4 barrel V8 275hp
D21: 4 Speed Manual Transmission
R6: Red Exterior Color
D2X: Trim - Luxury, Vinyl Bench Seat, Black
X9: Black Int. Door Frames
C06: Build Date: December 06
115062: Order number

A46: Unknown Top Color
G33: LH Remote Racing Mirror
L31: Hood/Fender Mounted Turn Signals
M21: Roof drip rail moldings
M25: Wide sill moldings
R21: AM/FM Radio (5 1/2 Watts)

V1X: Unknown
V8X: Tranverse Stripes, Black
END: End of Sales Codes

Looks great. I think that is a 1968 grill though. Does it have a Dodge emblem in the center of the trunk above the lock? I ask because my /6 Swinger appears to have had it there.

Nice car. But I would be leery of those two inside, especially the driver.
:lol:

I feel I got a good deal but anyone know roughly the value of the car? I’m sorry for all the questions I have been out of loop for about 25 years and I’m just getting back into the scene.

Yep, 69 Dart Swinger 340 with a black tail stripe and black vinyl top. The 68 grille does not fit well with 69 fenders, that is why the headlight bezels are offset slightly. There should be a DODGE badge on the drivers side of the hood (there will be three openings in the hood bracing) and another DODGE emblem on the trunk above the lock, it has only two pins while the hood emblem has three.

-
Back