69 Dart fuel gauge

-

abodydartdude

Reaction score
My 69 Dodge Dart fuel gauge wasn't working, if I tapped on it it would move a little. Got a new gauge from Classic industries, checked tank jumper ground on tank, everything looked alright. Installed new gauge powered up, now gauge goes from empty to 3/4 drops back to empty then bounces back and forth to 1/4 of tank. Ordered new instrument panel voltage regulator, it has the separate plug-in style, powered it up and still bounces around. Just for the heck of it wired the old gauge in and it looks like it might work right. Anyone ever have these problems like this or is it just me.

Ever see any wild needle swings in the temp gauge? Bad limiter or a short to ground should cause issues with both gauges. If there is a short... you're pulling the inst' panel, moving wiring around there. the short comes and goes, must be right there somewhere.
If my memory serves, your dash has the harness in a strap above the inst' panel. That strap has chaffed through the tape and whichever wire casing that happens to be there. I've seen connector pins pushed through the circuit board to touch ground behind also.

Yep. Check it out. Many have been there before.
You can go to search bar and type in any subject, chances are it was discussed.
Good luck
Joe

Ever see any wild needle swings in the temp gauge? Bad limiter or a short to ground should cause issues with both gauges. If there is a short... you're pulling the inst' panel, moving wiring around there. the short comes and goes, must be right there somewhere.
If my memory serves, your dash has the harness in a strap above the inst' panel. That strap has chaffed through the tape and whichever wire casing that happens to be there. I've seen connector pins pushed through the circuit board to touch ground behind also.

Have the dash out, tried putting old limiter back, still jumps around, put old fuel gauge back in, it will go to 1/2 tank and stay there with new limiter, with old limiter it barely moves. Checked all wires, grounds, everythings new. How often do you get a bad fuel gauge right out of the box ?

Here's a question for you, I bought this 69 swinger with a dash vin# of LM23P9B 280975. tranny is correct #9B 280975. The motor is a little bit of a head scratcher # LM23P9B 226824. So it was made in the same plant for the same model 69 swinger but sequential #'s are different, what are the odds of having a replacement motor that someone found to put in this car.

My friend has a Mopar (70 Barracuda) that has the incorrect build sheet. Same plant, same model, same engine, only the sequential number was off by only 3 digits. So that build sheet that found in his car prob was thrown back in there somewhere on the assembly line.
Point is, anything is possible.
Mistakes happened. This may be a bit of a reach, but... Was your engine changed after it was sold or was that current engine installed at the plant or dealership for some reason?

Last edited:
My friend has a Mopar (70 Barracuda) that has the incorrect build sheet. Same plant, same model, same engine, only the sequential number was off by only 3 digits. So that build sheet that found in his car prob was thrown back in there somewhere on the assembly line.
Point is, anything is possible.
Mistakes happened. This may be a bit of a reach, but... Was your engine changed after it was sold or was that current engine installed at the plant or dealership for some reason?

No idea how that motor ended up in there, just bought the car, the guy I bought it from didn't know much about it tried to tell me it was 32,000 mi car, but door hinges were wore out. More likely a 132,000 mi. Solid car, he did a lot off work to it Im just finishing the interior, just a freshen up. So yes thought it was odd that motor vin was that close to being right, would have been a bonus if numbers matching

-
Back