69 Formula S Barracuda at Mecum Sells

-
I agree. 69 Fastbacks are sweet. All work in restoration including paint was mine.
cudadone1.JPG

Looks like a 68 dash bezel. Some other small details off. Wonder what undercarriage looks like?

Nice resto. Just not upper shelf to match the upper shelf price.

well sold. Poor bought

i don't want to "rain on the parade" here regarding the "love" or value of A Bodies - HOWEVER....

the mecum 69 Barracuda coup sold for $52,500.00. whoever "originally" did the restoration on this car would have LOST at least $25k at that sales price. just look at the current numbers for "restoring" these cars. i don't know of ANY body shop worth going to that is not now charging $75.00/hour for work. the mecum car was obviously taken completely apart and restored and painted on a rotissiary. to COMPLETELY dissasemble a car (i.e. like Graveyard Carz is doing), repair and replace rusted panels; repair or replace broken or worn parts; prep and paint all body panels; then REASSEMBLING the car - you are looking at AT LEAST 800 hours. that would be a body shop putting in 40 hours a week on the car for only 5 months. most body shops will expect to have a rotissiary restored car in their shop at least a year. it is my understanding that mark worman at GYC tells his customers he will have their car 2 years. so at 800 hours at $75/hr. you're looking at $60k - just for labor - and these numbers DO NOT include THE COST OF THE CAR in the first place! from the level of restoration of the mecum barracuda - i expect they spent at least $10k on new parts. so if you could talk to the guy who owned that car originally, or maybe even Mr. Fezell himself - i expect "someone" spent close to $100k on this car with its purchase price and cost of restoration.

don't get me wrong, i love A-body barracudas - i have 4 of them. my point is - NO ONE is EVER going to make a lot of money buying, restoring and selling A-Body Mopars!

i don't want to "rain on the parade" here regarding the "love" or value of A Bodies - HOWEVER....

the mecum 69 Barracuda coup sold for $52,500.00. whoever "originally" did the restoration on this car would have LOST at least $25k at that sales price. just look at the current numbers for "restoring" these cars. i don't know of ANY body shop worth going to that is not now charging $75.00/hour for work. the mecum car was obviously taken completely apart and restored and painted on a rotissiary. to COMPLETELY dissasemble a car (i.e. like Graveyard Carz is doing), repair and replace rusted panels; repair or replace broken or worn parts; prep and paint all body panels; then REASSEMBLING the car - you are looking at AT LEAST 800 hours. that would be a body shop putting in 40 hours a week on the car for only 5 months. most body shops will expect to have a rotissiary restored car in their shop at least a year. it is my understanding that mark worman at GYC tells his customers he will have their car 2 years. so at 800 hours at $75/hr. you're looking at $60k - just for labor - and these numbers DO NOT include THE COST OF THE CAR in the first place! from the level of restoration of the mecum barracuda - i expect they spent at least $10k on new parts. so if you could talk to the guy who owned that car originally, or maybe even Mr. Fezell himself - i expect "someone" spent close to $100k on this car with its purchase price and cost of restoration.

don't get me wrong, i love A-body barracudas - i have 4 of them. my point is - NO ONE is EVER going to make a lot of money buying, restoring and selling A-Body Mopars!

Agree with you 100 % ..but I think the same could be said about the biggest share of the cars sold at Auctions like Mecum and Barrett-Jackson..I would guess only the Collectors stand a chance of actually making money..a small chance at that. The only ones making big bucks are the Auction Houses.I didn't intend to say any one made any money on this car...just that it drew more money than A-Bodies usually command.

I was at the auction yesterday and saw this car up close.
A very nice resto.
There were also a couple of superstock Darts and a superstock Barracuda for sale.

I got to see Richard Petty up close and personal too!

Looks like a 68 dash bezel. Some other small details off. Wonder what undercarriage looks like?

Nice resto. Just not upper shelf to match the upper shelf price.

well sold. Poor bought

Yep!

Booster was wrong and most V6 stripe cars ( if not all) did not have the 383S emblems. Only stripe delete and V7 cars had them except the brochure cars.It was a very nice car though, got my attention! Would like to have seen the fender tag! Guess it may available on their website.

Last edited:
Funny the Mecum website shows pics without chrome valve covers and no mention of the fender tag. It does show the wrong booster and more.

It crossed the block yesterday with chrome covers.

I would assume the bones of the car are debatable and 50k is hard to understand, like said though it showed nicely and got my attention!

I know what it costs to resurrect one of these and getting your return ain't going to happen! It's a love thing!

Last edited:
-
Back