69 notchback questions

-

farmer

Reaction score
hello. I must start by confessing that really I am a C body guy. also mopar guy. so when I came across a 69 barracuda a hour drive away I went for a look.
I was impressed and ended up buying the car.
69 notchback 340s automatic. 727. 8 3/4 with 3.23 numbers matching. 65 thousand original miles. column shift, bench seat. original wheel discs. broadcast sheet also in very nice condition.
its a 50 yr old car. been painted in early 90s. the vinyl roof is toast. seat's need recovered, carpet isn't good. dash pad is cracked, headliner isn't bad but needs renewed. extremely low amount of rust.
last week I took it to a local shop for a pre safety inspection. it needs new rubber brake hoses, parking brake cables and new master cylinder. also back tires.
so I only show up when I need something.
I don't know much about A body cars
I am hopefull that someone can tell me anything about production numbers and also any idea of what this car is worth.
I will post some pictures from my phone

hello. I must start by confessing that really I am a C body guy. also mopar guy. so when I came across a 69 barracuda a hour drive away I went for a look.
I was impressed and ended up buying the car.
69 notchback 340s automatic. 727. 8 3/4 with 3.23 numbers matching. 65 thousand original miles. column shift, bench seat. original wheel discs. broadcast sheet also in very nice condition.
its a 50 yr old car. been painted in early 90s. the vinyl roof is toast. seat's need recovered, carpet isn't good. dash pad is cracked, headliner isn't bad but needs renewed. extremely low amount of rust.
last week I took it to a local shop for a pre safety inspection. it needs new rubber brake hoses, parking brake cables and new master cylinder. also back tires.
so I only show up when I need something.
I don't know much about A body cars
I am hopefull that someone can tell me anything about production numbers and also any idea of what this car is worth.
I will post some pictures from my phone

IMG_20190612_185059.jpg

IMG_20190611_100451.jpg

IMG_20190610_211002.jpg

Someone will chime in with numbers. But you have a great start, that looks like a time capsule for sure. Great score, congrats!

Welcome from North Dakota you got a nice car there I have no idea what it's worth but as far as I know you would have to dig into it and see what was replaced or patched back when it was restored in the 90's to find out how solid it is. Are you keeping it or just going to sell it?
Looks like a keeper from the pictures.

Sweet car! I know notches had less production numbers than fastbacks, but they aren't worth as much for some reason. I'm not a big 'keep it all original!' guy, but how that thing looks, and it's a 340 numbers matching car, I'd try to keep it original. (Maybe different drivetrain to horse around in, but keep all the original stuff so you can turn it back to original if you want to in the future).

hello Fred
we is practically neighbors. I am in Manitoba. 34 miles north of the border. north of Rolla.
the early 90's restoration was just a paint job. this car blows me away. the interior is needing some love but the body is incredible. having said that it does have a issue. somewere along the way the chrome trim that goes under the back window has gone missing. its strange, the clips are in a envelope in the glove box. a local notchback owner told me that the back window needs to be out to remove or install the clips. the fellow I got it from inherited it from his father in 1999. the father bought it in 1971.
they told me I would need to find the trim because they had no idea were or when it went missing. didn't take me long to figure out it wouldn't be easy to find one.
also the vinyl top held some moisture and it looks like it will need some work. nothing serious.
am I going to sell it? not planning to at this point. I am not a flipper. I will get it safetyied. that gives me a year to register it in my name.
i have a 66 polara almost ready for the road. i will drive it. the notchback will have to wait till i have more time.
I have had the notch out for 3 runs on a temporay registration permit. i get waves and thumbs up constantly. 1 guy asked me what year was the "road runner". told him 69

hello Fred
we is practically neighbors. I am in Manitoba. 34 miles north of the border. north of Rolla.
the early 90's restoration was just a paint job. this car blows me away. the interior is needing some love but the body is incredible. having said that it does have a issue. somewere along the way the chrome trim that goes under the back window has gone missing. its strange, the clips are in a envelope in the glove box. a local notchback owner told me that the back window needs to be out to remove or install the clips. the fellow I got it from inherited it from his father in 1999. the father bought it in 1971.
they told me I would need to find the trim because they had no idea were or when it went missing. didn't take me long to figure out it wouldn't be easy to find one.
also the vinyl top held some moisture and it looks like it will need some work. nothing serious.
am I going to sell it? not planning to at this point. I am not a flipper. I will get it safetyied. that gives me a year to register it in my name.
i have a 66 polara almost ready for the road. i will drive it. the notchback will have to wait till i have more time.
I have had the notch out for 3 runs on a temporay registration permit. i get waves and thumbs up constantly. 1 guy asked me what year was the "road runner". told him 69
Sounds like you got a notch back that's worth some money. The Polara I would like to see some day if you ever take it to the Devils Run. I live in Bisbee and if yo ever get down here stop in for a beer, I am restoring my 73 Scamp and getting ready to paint the body soon.

RSie
i turned 60 last fall. still love the smell of melting tires. but this Plymouth is far to well preserved to beat on it. i give it some gas pedal when i had it out and it goes like stink.
This car has gotten this far in original condition I feel it would be in poor taste to alter it.
I have a warm 440 in the polara and it will get pushed hard at times.
I doubt if I would ever restore the barracuda. I do plan to redo the interior. Likley paint the roof and wax the grey green paint and enjoy it.

I was at the devils run 7 or 8 years ago. I had it on my radar this year but farming got in the way. It's a good show and not that far.

RSie
i turned 60 last fall. still love the smell of melting tires. but this Plymouth is far to well preserved to beat on it. i give it some gas pedal when i had it out and it goes like stink.
This car has gotten this far in original condition I feel it would be in poor taste to alter it.
I doubt if I would ever restore the barracuda. I do plan to redo the interior. Likley paint the roof and wax the grey green paint and enjoy it.
Yea hard to butcher or beat a nice original. I am 62 and retired last September so only working part time in a body shop in Cando and enjoying finally restoring my first car for me.

I was at the devils run 7 or 8 years ago. I had it on my radar this year but farming got in the way. It's a good show and not that far.
Farming is first and car shows are down the line. Hope you do well this year farming and if you get to bring your car down next year my home is always open to old car nuts.

Fred
I am down to Rolla quite often picking up parts. Bisbee ain't that far away.. PM me with your phone number and I will get hold of you and take you up on the beer offer.
The polara is a 45 thousand mile car. Last on road in 82. Pretty much dent free but sun faded real bad. It has rust issues in trunk extension and outer wheelwells. . The isn't anything special. Just a fun driver. I redid complete steering and suspension. New brakes and fuel lines. I will try to find a picture

RSie
Ah, and old school guy! I'm 53 with a kid that just turned 17, so I'm workin on my rustbucket '69 Cuda to show him what a real car is, lol.
I agree with you, that car is nice. I'd still think about throwing in a beater 318/904 if I planned a lot of driving in it, just to save the original, if you know what I mean. An a-body 340 car is a ton of fun without doing anything to it.. one of my brothers had a 340 4 speed Duster back in the day.. that was a quick little car!
By the way, I used to run a lot of c-bodies. Wish I would have kept my '67 New Yorker, 440 closed chamber heads... god help you if you wanted to race me in that thing with your pretty camaro out on the highway. :)

RSie
I hear you regarding preserving the 340/727. I don't plan to put a lot of miles on it.
I found a picture if my polara 880. taken the day I hauled it in. it has a twisted torsion bar which took it off the road. kinda gives it a sinister look. I got a complete firm feel kit.

002.JPG

RSie
I hear you regarding preserving the 340/727. I don't plan to put a lot of miles on it.
I found a picture if my polara 880. taken the day I hauled it in. it has a twisted torsion bar which took it off the road. kinda gives it a sinister look. I got a complete firm feel kit.

View attachment 1715351335
I agree with you that if you're nor going to drive it a lot, leave it alone. It's probably worth more un-restored anyway with how good of shape it looks to be in.
Love the Polara! C-bodies.. hood and trunk for days!
I loved my '67.. you couldn't tell if you were going 35 or 110 :)
The '76 NY I had though was an absolute pig. Could not get anything out of that slug. Was comfy though.

One thing I'd think about doing to your Notch: address the electrical problems they have. I'm not sure if c-bodies have the same problems, you probably already know.
@crackedback can you help you out with that. Easy mods that take strain off the dash wiring. Probably easy to turn back to original if need be.

I have herd that these a bodies are prone to electrical issues. This cars electrical system is working properly. But thanks for the heads up..
The only problem with the c body electrics was changing burnt bulbs. Took me a while but I got them all

I'm a bit surprised nobody has jumped in with production numbers. Found this:
1969 Model Year
Total 31,987

• Fastback 17,788
  • Coupe 12,757
  • Convertible 1,442
  • Formula S w/ 340 4bbl 1,809
  • 'Cuda w/340 4bbl ??
  • Formula S w/ 383 4bbl 718
  • 'Cuda w/383 4bbl 462
  • 'Cuda w/440 4bbl 356

Copied this from a previous thread on here. Looks like a '69 340 auto Hardtop, non Formula S production number was 1,230.

CudaProdnumbers.jpg

Hagerty list the average value at $14,800 for a plain 318 coupe. Doesn't list the options for a 340 non S model. Worth is pretty subjective to your area, and the oddities of the car. At the end of the day, it's worth what someone will give you for it. It seems the 67-76 A-body prices have jumped lately though, from my totally unscientific craigslist searches. I look all over the US in the hopes that THIS lottery ticket is a winner :)

On front fender it has 340s
Not sure if that makes it a formula S

On front fender it has 340s
Not sure if that makes it a formula S
I would think so. Hagerty doesn't list that option for '69. NADAguides on has the Formula S 383 model.
I think you'd need to decode the VIN to see if it a Formula S.

Hoping one of these guys that knows a lot more than I do jumps in :)

On the My Mopar site I found a spot were I entered first 5 or 6 of the vin. It told 386 built. I am skeptic

-
Back