69 Roadrunner won't start

-

Ivoryk3ys78

Reaction score
I was wondering if anone might have any ideas to try on this.

My dads 69 Roadrunner started smoking at the voltage regulator a couple weeks ago. We put a new voltage regulator in and it smoked again. We installed a new engine wiring harness and my Uncle was looking under the dash didn't find anything there that could be causing it. Turned the key on and watched the voltage regulator with the new harness. No smoking now.

Tried to start it and it turns over but wont start. He has an accel 300+ ignition box. There was power going to that. We tried a different coil and still nothing. Put a light tester on the Positive of the coil and nothing when turning the key.

So we figured the Accel 300+ box went bad. I had him order the Summit Ignition box. I am running it in my Duster and it wired up and worked fine.

We wired it up to his MSD pro billet distributor. Battery Power, Ground, Switched 12v, Coil +,- and Magnetic Pickup + and - to the coil. Still nothing. He tested at the coil again and no power.

I called him and he tried this evening hooking the switched 12v to a direct battery source to see if it would start and still nothing. I don't think there is any way its a bad ignition box it is brand new and the same thing that his old one was doing. Also his oil lght does not come on anymore when he first turns the key on. It always did before.

So... we are at a loss. he was getting the 12v switched voltage from the blue coil wire in the harness. He is not running a ballast resister and hasnt for years.

Thanks

Kevin

I think I'd start by finding out why you're not getting 12V to the input side of the coil. Maybe something melted at the bulkhead connector when you had your first problem with the smoking voltage regulator? I'd also check that alternator for a ground/short. That may have caused your initial problem.

-
Back