'69 rods, or thicker '73 ones?

-

69charger

Reaction score
I'm going to rebuild my '69 318 and was wondering if I should keep the stock rods or see if I can score some of the heavier '73-later rods.
I'm sure the ones I have can stand the build and I'm not planning on gunnin' the engine to 6,000 RPM (all the time :-D haha ) but seriously should I get some heavier ones just as a little extra insurance in the bottom end or just work with what I have?

Its not a bad idea to upgrade to the heavier rods, but for street use, the lighter rods are okay too. Compare the stock lighter rods to ford 302 or chevy 350 rods. They are beefier. There are several things to remember - you'll need to re-balance the rotating assembly with the heavier rods, and you will be going from a floating wrist pin to a pressed pin. I built my latest 318 with the lighter rods, mainly because it had already been overhauled when I got it and I was doing a freshening.

Cheers !

If your not going to "Stomp on it" very often I'd use the rods you already have and spend the money you saved on another aspect of your build maybe High quality rod bolts, magnaflux, shotpeen & balance the rod piston combos with that cash.

They'll hold fine. So long as it's not a race built engine seeing street beatings.

Pay special attention to the weight of the replacement pistons. Shop around and put a good light weight pistons in there. That will take a lot of stress off the rods not to mention make more power.

-
Back