69 slant 6

-

spikekid999

MOPAR OR NO CAR!!!
Reaction score
got a lead on a 69 slant six, from what I know its in a dart
my question is, would it be a 225? or a 170?
also would it be a 1 or 2 bbl?

sorry for all the questions, never looked into slants until now

I think most were 225 then. My 69 Dart Custom 2 dr was a 225. The easiest way to tell is to look at the length of the hose between the water pump and head. It is longer in the 225 (but still short). Take photos of others cars with you. The casting# on the driver's side block should tell you. I understand that the 2 bbl didn't come until much later (~76) and maybe only on FMJ cars (Aspen, Volare, ...), but no telling what people have mod'ed in 45 years.

problem is I cant go look at the car. the car that the engine and trans is in is up in WI and im down in TX, so i'll have to have my dad go fetch it for me if I buy it.

I responded to a craigslist ad of a guy parting out 40 acres of cars to see if he had a slant and I got a call today. story I got was the previous owner had the engine and trans rebuilt and shortly after he was driving it and a front tell came off and he crashed into a pole. said its been sitting for 5 or so years but it turns over and says if I did a did a tune up and cleaned the carb I got run it and drive it as it is

I don't know about anybody else but it always makes me nervous when i'm told it was rebuilt just before I parked it 5 years ago and all you have to do is "tune it up".could be possible.....but.

if I get it I plan on going through it anyways as I wanna get the head shaved, so as long as it turns over

This may be a dumb question, but why are you going to Wisconsin for a slant? I would think you can find one in TX pretty easy, and then you can see what you're getting. Around here, 2-3 slants per week pop up on Craigslist, and most of them go for $200-$300, often with a transmission.

I'm just down here for work, all my family is up in Wisconsin. i've looked down in the area I'm in and haven't found one unless I go a few hours away and buy a complete 80s ram, which I have no where to put and know way to haul as I only have my 02 towncar here now

Turn it over by hand (crank bolt or just tug on fan belt). If you feel 3 strong resistances each revolution, you know the engine is great. The slant in my 64 Valiant is like that. The reverse isn't true, since may need oil on the rings (squirt some) and even a decent engine might not build much compression turned so slow.

Yeah I know that, that's why I figure as long as it turns over it should be good, then again if not I plan in going through it anyways, as long as the cylinder walls aren't scored or badly rusty

well I just got a call about a 70s dart with a slant six that's been sitting. dudes a middle man for his buddy and said 800 for the car, has no radiator, but last year they threw a battery in it to turn it over but the starter wasn't strong enough, so im guessing its locked up, but im gonna head over there this weekend to check it out myself. I have no room for the car so im gonna have to try and talk him down and get just the engine and trans

-
Back