69 Swinger 4 speed

-

irishfastback

Reaction score
Is there a difference in the center hump(where the hole is for the shifter) of the car, if it is an automatic or 4 speed?

I have seen pictures of 4 speed cars and the center looks more square and on the automatics the center looks more round...

Maybe I am seeing things?

Any info would be great.

Thank you

Yeah, Irish there is a difference between the two. I can't remember who but someone does make a replacement 4 speed hump. DAVE

and to think I was seeing things... I guess they did this for clearance reasons???

Good to know I am not cracking up...

Thank you for the info

tranny hump is available from year one ...doesnt fit worth a crap. Bought a one piece trunk floor from them too...Yep, doesnt fit worth a crap and I'm scared to put my spare tire in the tire well as it is paper thin.

I bought my A-body 4-speed hump from Sherman.
It was a decent fit except for a small area around the back side where you have to fab a little piece to fill in.
Bought mine a few years ago, think it was just over $100

Heres their website, www.shermanparts.com

floorhump.jpg

irishfastback said:
Is there a difference in the center hump(where the hole is for the shifter) of the car, if it is an automatic or 4 speed?

I have seen pictures of 4 speed cars and the center looks more square and on the automatics the center looks more round...

Maybe I am seeing things?

Any info would be great.

Thank you

The reason for the hump is the shifter and the rods for 1/2 and 3/4 are inside the car when compared to the contour of the floor of a column shift or automatic car.

When installing a hump the floor is cut out from just about the center line of the tunnel down to the floor and from about 6" behind the torsion bar cross member forward approximately 18" ( up under the dash). The hump covers this entire area and as you noted squares it off. You need to get a new carpet when you had the hump.

-
Back