69 Valiant - Electrical / Turn Signal Question

-

TheWhyDesign

Reaction score
I’m new to this so bare with me.

I have a 1969 Plymouth Valiant. Currently, I am experiencing issues with my passenger side blinker / brake light. It does not work when I engage the turn signal switch / brake. The parking light works fine. I understand that the blinker / brake lights are on the same circuit so if I locate the source of the problem, both issues should be corrected. The issue only pertains to the right hand (passenger) side. The left hand (drivers) side functions as it should. Here are my questions:

1 – People say "double check your fuse", but if the fuse was blown, wouldn’t the left hand (drivers) side not function? I wouldn’t think that each side would be powered separately.

– Regarding the flasher relay: If the flasher relay was bad, wouldn’t the symptoms be the same when trying to signal either direction? When I apply the left directional, you get it all,.. the external blinker, the clicking noise and flash indicator on the cluster (brake light works as well). When I signal right I get nothing. No flash indicator on the cluster (stuck on or otherwise), and no clicking (no brake light as well).

Obviously I am going to have to make sure that all of my connections are good, and that I have good ground to the rear tail light assembly, but it’s the lack of clicking noise / flash indicator illumination on the cluster that leads me to believe my turn signal switch might not be making contact as it should when trying to signal right.

What do you think?
Any info you might have would be very much appreciated.

If the front signal and indicater dont light up the problem has to be in the signal switch or its wiring.

I agree...I would have said a burnt out bulb in the front...but the light not 'STUCK" on the dash is the give away.

Redfish is the electric Guru here...check the switch...

That switch cam has probably never been changed in 40 years!

Aloha!

PS Welcome aboard!

Thanks guys... so as it turns out, the right indicator lamp in the instrument cluster had a bad/broken tab and it just fell out. Found it just hanging out between some wiring behind the instrument cluster. Then after placing mirrors all around the car I noticed that the front right blinker was stuck on.... Checked the right rear bulb and that thing was toast. Just got back from autozone, plugged 1157's in both sides and gave that a try. Now this is wierd....

At first, both sides were stuck on. Took the 1157's out, put the old one back in (the left side that worked) and nada. Put the new one back in, started the car checked the park lights, and they were still good. Now both sides are blinking as they should, yet I still have to replace the indicator lamp in the cluster. This has me baffeled though. Not quite sure what went on, but I'm glad the blinkers AND brake lights are now working.

I'm guessing that something is on the fritz... maybe the flasher relay? If it was bad ground, I would have blown a fuse no?

Sorry for the book here, but I know the emergency flashers are on a separate circuit, however, they seem to be really dull now. Meaning, not as bright as the blinkers are. Any ideas on that front?

clean the contacts on the 1157 bulb sockets....if corroded even a little...it will cause some crazy stuff to happen!

You are almost there!!! Cool!

I took for granted the bulbs, sockets, simple stuff has already been checked.
We're both glad the problem wasn't the signal switch. It's a booger to replace and expensive too. Happy moparing

Will definitely clean the sockets then.

BTW... I have the instrument cluster out to replace a few sockets and bulbs. Anything else I should check while I'm in there?

You could lube the speedo cable and wiper linkage.

Yup...the speedo was on the list. What is the preferred lube? I have this graphite spray that dries to a powder. I was thinking that might work well. I will make sure to hit the wiper linkage as well. Thanks for the tip.

contact Redfish about the DemonIVR...

You should install (it) to replace your factory gauge voltage regulator...

I pull the cable out and run it back in between my fingers loaded with white lithium tub grease. Pushing the cable back in can be agravating but it will go .If you do that be sure to clean the excess from the connecter cavity. Too much grease into the instrument can harm it.
Some will suggest flushing the sheathe with brake cleaner but you would need to disconnect the trans end of it.

As long as you have the instrument cluster out you may want to take out all the bulbs, clean all contacts with an eraser to get em good and clean. Check the ammeter connections and be sure to reinstall the nuts with lock washers as all the current goes through this meter. If you have any loose connections it relates to resistance in series thus a voltage drop which is never good. Good luck.

Cool. Thanks for the tip.

I actually have all new sockets and bulbs that I will be installing.

"DemonIVR".... you have peaked my interest. What is this you speak of? I have read about the voltage regulater reeking havoc......

-
Back