69 Valiant - Rookie

-
Thanks guys. Here's a shot of the spruced up engine. Don't think it turned out too bad considering it was painted with the engine still in the car. Going to try and get a decal for the air cleaner.

Attachments

• enginebay2.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 488
  • enginebay3.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 494
Amazing job! Like you, my skills as a mechanic is very limited. Seeing what you've done, is great and gives a person like me drive( no pun intended). Luckily I have a friend that is a car mechanic and is teaching me about the car while he fixes what I can't. He'll include me on turning wrenches on certain jobs. It's when things fail that teach me more about it. Price to pay but I anticipate it. Keep working hard. It inspires noobies like myself.

Thanks for the feedback. I figure everyone has to start somewhere. This is my fifth car but the first one I've ever really worked on. My first car was an 87 Camaro and I loved that thing, but ran it into the grave, not doing any maintenance or repairs. With the help of this site, I've learned a ton and have looked at nearly every inch of this car.

Next update was a cosmetic one for the trunk. A trunk will only ever be a trunk, but at least I can make it look nicer.

Attachments

• 20121120_155746.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 472
I may be new to this sort of thing, but the battery tray appeared to be missing a bit of something called metal. Swapped it out for a new one off ebay, and decided to try to make my own battery hold down. Think it turned out nicely.

Attachments

• battery1.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 450
  • battery2.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 453
Well, my budget is just about gone until February. But until then, here's a nice before/after picture of the engine compartment.

Attachments

• beforeafter.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 453
Love the car. Love the story!
You're having fun, you're learning a lot, and you can take pride in knowing you've done it! Plus, yous kids, while hanging around dad working on his car, will most likely wanna turn wrenches on their own cars some day. They wont forget these good times with dad.
Very cool man.

After what's felt like forever, some progress. I think I may have doomed myself with that meteor picture. A while ago, I noticed considerable blow by and oil filling the air filter. I was hoping that it was just a valve guide issue, but compression test came back bad.

I had been in the market for either a rebuild or a new engine leading up to this point because I just had a feeling it wasn't going to go over we'll with this engine. (it has at least 180K maybe 280K miles on it)

Luckily, I came across a local slant six already rebuilt, but sitting for 2 years in the garage. I had to jump on it. The 2 guys we're awesome with helping me get it home. Bb66cuda is the guy that sold it, I believe.

So, I've been getting things ready to seal and prep the new slant for installation. Painting parts, cleaning accessories, etc. Will try to get some pics up soon.

I also ordered the Scarebird disc conversion, so will be doing that right after I get the new engine in and running.

And as promised, some pictures.

Attachments

• rebuilt6.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 331
  • rebuilt5.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 333
  • rebuilt4.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 344
  • rebuilt3.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 347
  • rebuilt2.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 347
  • rebuilt1.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 341
Any suggestions on cleaning these cylinders? I got rid of any surface flash rust, but it's still a little discolored. Not sure if that makes a difference.

Lots of work on the slant today. After painting the water block, and sanding/painting the valve cover, I got the water pump mounted to the block. De-rusted and cleaned a ton of bolts. Started sanding down the fan. Still need to finish the fan, get the timing chain cover installed with a gasket, head gasket and attach the head. Still waiting for my lifters and the electronic ignition to come from ebay.

Nice build and very good learning curve, looking cool.
Enjoyed it.

Keep it up.

Timing chain cover sealed and torqued. Harmonic balancer on (that was a pita). Fan and pulley on the waterpump. Now, I'm sorta at a standstill until my lifters get here. May work on sanding and painting the motor mount brackets after work tomorrow.

I'm excited for the day I can start up the Valiant again. Feels like it's been forever, but I see time winding down.

After following what felt like 100 steps, I got the oil pan installed. Also pulled the manifolds. I did bust a bolt in the exhaust manifold trying to separate it from the intake. So, gotta see if I can pull that out somehow.

Sad little Valiant patiently waiting the day it can move again. In the meantime, pulled the radiator. That thing was nasty. Amazing that it still held together with no leaks.

Attachments

• sadcar.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 258
  • radiator.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 254
Man, you are doing some good work. Keep it up!! Thanks for bringing a classic back to life!!

Frustration. This is a mid-70's motor, which should bolt up directly to any '68 or later transmission. Except that it doesn't. I guess the guy that built the motor put an older crank in the engine (probably so he could bolt it up to an older transmission). Which means I need to get the nose on the torque converter machined to the right size. Found a place that can do it, really close by, and for not too bad of a price. But long story short... the Valiant isn't alive yet. :(

Maybe the engine you got was out of a stick car. There could be a pilot bearing in the crankshaft that you might have to remove.. Just a thought.. Good luck car looks great..

-
Back