69 Valiant, Speedo INOP, 904 Trans Help

-

408STRKR

MrMopar
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Picked up this 69 Valiant, the speedometer doesnt work, dash lights do work. I pulled the speedo from 904 trans off and spun with my fingers and I could only spin it to about 20kms "so the speedo head works" and it wasnt that easy to do, it felt like it may be sticking. My question is how easy should the cable be to spin to turn the needle? and where can i can the little plastic gear which wears out due the the cable stripping it on the trans side. #3 how do I remove the plastic piece in the trans which the speedo cable threads to on the trans? I removed the 1/2 bolt and c clip like retainer and tried to pull and nothing.

Thanks,

Jay

jack the rear of the hotrod up so the fluid runs to the front. grap your channel locs and twist and pull, it will come out. you'll have to count the teeth and get the same one. there is a special way to point the numbers on the housing your trying to remove. fine out which way or the output shaft will grind them off again.

Before you remove the speedo gear housing, make a clean spot where the edge of the housing meets the tranny case. Use a Sharpie, Witeout, or whatever you got handy, and make a mark across the gap between the two. That way you can get the housing and new gear clocked properly. The speedo gear should be available at any Mopar dealership parts counter. Brewer's Performance also has them. You don't need to know the gear count since the gears are color coded, I.E. if you have a green gear, you'll need a green gear. You may want to lube up the speedo cable while you have it out. After all, something caused the gear to fail...

There is a mark at 9:00 on trans, there are numbers on the speedo drive case, they match up with the tooth number you are running. Its probably stuck on with sealer, common. Just grab, twist a little TOWARD the LARGER numbers and pull straight out. The colored gear just sits in there between the housing and the stop in the trans tailshaft. The speedo drive cable should be very smooth, the speedometer itself should be easy to rotate too, all it acts uopn is the odometer. The speedo needle is magnetically moved indirectly, no physical contact.

Hi Guys,

Ok, so the speedo gear wasnt touching the input shaft this whole time. I turned the gear to it proper gear teeth indicator and now the speedo head does not want to go above 20kms, but will return back to 0 at a stop. The trip does work all the time. Any suggestions? Can I lube the speedo head?

-
Back