7 1/4 axle splines

-

Bulldozer

free ice cream sandwiches
Reaction score
:sign3: i am 7 1/4 uneducated. i have never worked on or messed with a 7 1/4. someone i know is wanting to know if the splines on a big bolt pattern A body axle are the same as a small bolt pattern A body axle. will the axles directly swap over or do the spider gears have to be switched out with the axles. i cant seem to find any info anywhere. the rear end is a 2.91 open from a 74 A body.thanks in advance for your input.

No- the BB pattern axle bearings are a different size, housing ends too small on earlier rearend. The whole rear should swap right in, but you can't just take the BB axles/backing plates/drums and pop them onto an earlier SB axle

............Thats good to know V-100, But if his housing is a 74 small bolt ,because of being a 6 cylinder car will the bearings still be different sizes......R the axles different diameter also.......kim......

so, even with the correct bearings, they physically will not slide in and work? i was unaware that the SBP and BBP 7 1/4 housings are physically different sizes. is that all across the board or is it year specific?

The two 7 1/4's in question here use different size axle bearings and are a different length so, the answer is no, they won't interchange.

-
Back