7 1/4 axle swap

-

60jerry

Reaction score
I just got a decent ‘63 Dart wagon with, I suspect, the original 7 1/4 rear end. Going to install disc brakes and will go to 4 1/2 bolt circle wheels. Are there any axles with 4 1/2 that swap right in there? I’m thinking not. If not, I’ll be looking for an 8 1/4. I’m just a cheap *** and don’t want to pay for driveshaft work.

Yes there are plenty of large bolt pattern 7.25 rear assemblies to be had. Bolts right in. You wouldn't change anything but the wheels. They all have 10 inch brakes. Their axles and bearings are a different design but that is of no consequence.

Yes there are plenty of large bolt pattern 7.25 rear assemblies to be had. Bolts right in. You wouldn't change anything but the wheels. They all have 10 inch brakes. Their axles and bearings are a different design but that is of no consequence.
Thanks. Sounds like the way to go then. Any 1973 and up a body should do it?

To the best of my knowledge 73 thru 76 a-body. I would hope to replace leaf spring hangers to lug nuts from a local donor. I can't know your springs are fatigued. 1963 plus station wagon duty prompts my theory.

If you change rear ends you will have to shorten your drive shaft...at least I had to.
Yes, I’d like to avoid driveshaft cutting, but May be unavoidable. Time for this ole fart to go shopping at a local Mopar shop.

-
Back