7-1/4 Bearing Noise........

-

pastortom1

Reaction score
I have a 7-1/4 rear in my 67 Cuda...........OK though, it's just a cruiser.......I have a nice 8-3/4 all rebuilt and painted ready to go in the Cuda OR my Duster project (I'm torn.......)..............NOW, after jacking up the rear and running the car at idle speed, I've found some problems........

One is that my rear wheels are less than "round".......I figured they were a little off..........they've been around the block for about 40 years or so.......no big deal though.....

But SECOND, I heard a rattling on the passenger side axle........I shut the car off and spun it around, and sure enoufff..........Sounds like a glass full of marbles when she turns..........Driver side is OK...........

My question is this..........Without the expense of investing more dough into a 7-1/4, BUT to buy me some time in the midst of my projects, can that axle bearing be "repacked" and quiet down a bit ya' think?..............

..........and if so, is there anything ominous I need to know about pullin' that axle out of a 7-1/4........??? I used to do it with my eyes closed with 8-3/4's, BUT don't know anything about the little ones.......anything I need to know, or will it just pop out for me? What would I be up against? Will I tear up the seals if I try it?

Lookin' for a quick and temporary semi/pseudo/kind'a like-a/fix for the marbles (which I HOPE are just dry bearings........)

What say ye' ?

The gear oil lubricates the bearings. Cant pack grease in the bearing without removing the axle.
The quickest least expensive route might be to pull that axle and bearing out and slide a good used one in if you can find one local.

If you've pulled axles out of an 8 3/4, the 7 1/4 comes apart the same way just doesn't have the adjuster. Unfortunatly the 7 1/4 uses sealed ball bearings on the axle insted of the tapered bearings, which if they are noisy means they are shot. The bearings are pressed on to the axleshaft along with a retaining ring, so it wont be a quick fix unless you have a press or access to one. Like Redfish said if you can find an axle with a good bearing, that would be the easiest way to go.

Have you pulled the wheel and drum off to make sure it's not just a brake problem? I've seen many times when it was something in the brakes broke or came loose sound like that.

I'm gonna pull it off this afternoon and see what we have.......It'd be nice if it were just a brake problem......I really don't want to mess with the rear, especially when I'm lookin' at a possible swap........

Someone told me the bearing on a 7-1/4 was isolated from the gear lube by a secondary seal, and packed with grease.......don't know where I got that from.......I'll double check the lube to be sure it's full too.......haven't checked it in quite a spell...........

I'm gonna pull it off this afternoon and see what we have.......It'd be nice if it were just a brake problem......I really don't want to mess with the rear, especially when I'm lookin' at a possible swap........

Someone told me the bearing on a 7-1/4 was isolated from the gear lube by a secondary seal, and packed with grease.......don't know where I got that from.......I'll double check the lube to be sure it's full too.......haven't checked it in quite a spell...........

Either way, If you find gear oil in the brake drum you'll know the bearing is gone.

OK.........Leave it to Chrysler...........How am I supposed to get my gear lube IN the 7-1/4? I looked for any type of standard plug, and only found a giant steel plug of some sore on the back cover.......Looks like it takes a special socket or giant star tip..........WHAT THE HECK IS IT ? :clock:

There's a special 1/2" drive HEX driver on Ebay for Mopar rear plugs from 58-60........Anyone know if this is the SAME SIZE? SAME PLUG? for a 67 7-1/4 ???

(I can't tell you how frustrated I'm gettin' with this kind'a stuff.....especially the 67 only baloney.......makes me wonder what these guys were smokin' at the factory.......)

I don't know if 7-1/4 rears are the same as a 8-3/4 but that's the way an 8-3/4 is. Inner seal with a bearing packed with grease and an outer seal located within the retainer plate.

There's a special 1/2" drive HEX driver on Ebay for Mopar rear plugs from 58-60........Anyone know if this is the SAME SIZE? SAME PLUG? for a 67 7-1/4 ???

(I can't tell you how frustrated I'm gettin' with this kind'a stuff.....especially the 67 only baloney.......makes me wonder what these guys were smokin' at the factory.......)

If it don't have a plug on the back cover there should be one on the main case.

Hey I thought Pastor's were supposed to be patient and not get agitated, LOL

These old cars can get to you. If you want to own one you just have to realize their old and things like this happen.

The problem is that I've dealt with 'em SINCE the 60's, and it never gets much better......just when you think you have all the differences and quirks figured out on the old Mopars, another one comes along........Just in time for a Cruise-In or a Holiday weekend...........

............and AS a Pastor, I find the same applies to people.

OK.........Leave it to Chrysler...........How am I supposed to get my gear lube IN the 7-1/4? I looked for any type of standard plug, and only found a giant steel plug of some sore on the back cover.......Looks like it takes a special socket or giant star tip..........WHAT THE HECK IS IT ? :clock:
I can't remember what I used. Allen wrench maybe. I'll find out come morning.

The problem is that I've dealt with 'em SINCE the 60's, and it never gets much better......just when you think you have all the differences and quirks figured out on the old Mopars, another one comes along........Just in time for a Cruise-In or a Holiday weekend...........

I will admit they did some odd things and not always the same.

............and AS a Pastor, I find the same applies to people.

That's right. But isn't the leader of the flock supposed to lead by example? Said in fun brother.

That is a 8 point broached into the plug. Your average half inch square drive tool will fit it but not tight enough. Stop at a hardware store and pick up a short piece of half inch square key steal. Clean the hole so the driver goes in to the bottom. Large adjustable wrench will provide more leverage than a 1/2" open end wrench.

I've always used a breaker bar with a short ½" extension to open the plug. Clean as much junk as you can out of the plug so that the extension seats deeply into it. I've found a rubber plug in some of the newer 7¼" axles, so beware. My experience with the 7¼ is like a horror story, which I talked about in the thread about the restoration of the 73, Resurrected Junk.

The hardest part of replacing the rear wheel bearings is getting the collar that holds them on the axle, off. It has to be chiselled off without damaging the shaft.

When you check the oil level in the diff, suggest checking the color as well. If it is has a milky brownish hue, the diff has taken on some water. Changing the fluid will not quiet the bearings. The damage has already been done.

I've heard scraping from a rear brake drum before not related to the axle.
  1. Insure that axle is not bent and that the brake drum does not rub against the backing plate.
  2. Once drum is off look for loose brake parts. Usual culprits are the spreader bar below the wheel cylinder, brake adjuster, self-adjuster lever, and the e-brake lever coming off of the rear brake shoe.
  3. Check brake shoes to insure problem not caused by loss of lining or an exposed rivet.

-
Back