7 1/4 pinion seal help

-

phish1270

phish1270
Reaction score
So I am slowing fixing my cooling problems but I need to drive it 3 - 6 hours to flush the motor so I get ready to take a short drive last night. I pull the car ('65 Barracuda) out of the garage & park it in the driveway. I go to check to see what may have leaked on the garage floor. The usual tranny leak spot is there along with a new power steering leak & a gear lube leak from the rear end. It appears the pinion seal is now leaking, yay! :angry7: It is a 7 1/4 boat anchor. I am hoping to find out what size bolt holds the yoke on & does anyone know a part # for the speedy sleeve? Napa carries them but they do not have a listing for my car. I am not sure I need one but figured I would ask ahead of time. Also, what tool do I need to open the fill plug on the diff. cover? Thanks for any help.

Also, what tool do I need to open the fill plug on the diff. cover? Thanks for any help.

I've used a ½" drive breaker bar with a 3" extension. It's an 8 point socket axle filler plug on my '73 Dart. If you have the rubber plug in the hole, carefully pry it out.

The new pinion seal is in, only time will tell if it was done right. It is a 1 1/8" nut holding the yoke on for a '65 7 1/4 rear end; if anyone would like to know. It was relatively easy but the use of a lift would have made it very easy. It took me 2 hours laying under the car, could do one in half that with a lift & the experience gained. This is a great how to article with pictures:
http://www.universityofjeep.ca/pinion_seal.html# :read2:

-
Back