[SOLD] 7 1/4 Sure Grip 3.90 Rear Axle

-
Status
Not open for further replies.

RustyRatRod

I was born on a Monday. Not last Monday.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
72   0   0
Contact seller
This thing was just too much for me "right now" with these little SHORT 13" tires, so I swapped my 3.23 back in. I got this from Roy (@SGBARRACUDA) not long ago. Small bolt pattern, A body. The housing was pitted with rust some, but I wire brushed it it off good and painted it with Rustoleum black. I also cleaned the begeezus out of the guts and added new gear oil with Lucas additive. You can see details and the Dana Powerlock unit and gear condition in this thread:
7 1/4” SG
The sure grip unit is in remarkable shape. It leaves two even black marks and pulls both tires very well. It also has the desirable 10" brakes and the drums still appear very thick. The drums are off in the picture, but they come with it. 3000 RPM @ 55MPH was just too much. So, I'm going to pass this on to someone else. Now, with "all that" said, it does have a whine on decel. It's not bad at all. The gear pattern looked good, the pinion bearings are tight and the pinion nut has not backed off. I think whoever set it up didn't get the pinion depth quite right, but that has zero effect on operation other than a little noise. We all know sometimes lower gears just make a little noise anyway, so it may be perfectly normal. It was a hoot to drive and really made the slant 6 pull hard. I'm going to put the money toward getting my Ford 9" finished and towards the T5 swap. Located in Middle Georgia. This is too big for me to ship. Maybe you can work something out with some kind members and we can chain it to you. I really hate to sell it, but I am VERY tight on room. $600.00
DSCF1709.JPG

Last edited:
Am I correct to assume there is no aftermarket gears that can be put in this rear axle? Could I just swap my current 7.25 gears? I have never played with the rear axle other than to replace the gasket and fluid.

Am I correct to assume there is no aftermarket gears that can be put in this rear axle? Could I just swap my current 7.25 gears? I have never played with the rear axle other than to replace the gasket and fluid.
No, Summit has a few gearsets for it and yes, you can swap yours on it. That's my plan if it doesn't sell. I'll pull the sure grip unit and put my 3.23s on it and put it in the housing under my car.

Bump. This is a nice little rear end, yall.

I used to buy my 7 and a quarter gears from National Drive Train. They were forged in italy.

I used to buy my 7 and a quarter gears from National Drive Train. They were forged in italy.
Yeah, there are several ratios still available. Like I said, if this doesn't sell, I'll pull the carrier and put it in Vixen with her 3.23s on it.

Wish i had me a sure grip for my 7.25. Too far to ship.

This thing was just too much for me "right now" with these little SHORT 13" tires, so I swapped my 3.23 back in. I got this from Roy (@SGBARRACUDA) not long ago. Small bolt pattern, A body. The housing was pitted with rust some, but I wire brushed it it off good and painted it with Rustoleum black. I also cleaned the begeezus out of the guts and added new gear oil with Lucas additive. You can see details and the Dana Powerlock unit and gear condition in this thread:
7 1/4” SG
The sure grip unit is in remarkable shape. It leaves two even black marks and pulls both tires very well. It also has the desirable 10" brakes and the drums still appear very thick. The drums are off in the picture, but they come with it. 3000 RPM @ 55MPH was just too much. So, I'm going to pass this on to someone else. Now, with "all that" said, it does have a whine on decel. It's not bad at all. The gear pattern looked good, the pinion bearings are tight and the pinion nut has not backed off. I think whoever set it up didn't get the pinion depth quite right, but that has zero effect on operation other than a little noise. We all know sometimes lower gears just make a little noise anyway, so it may be perfectly normal. It was a hoot to drive and really made the slant 6 pull hard. I'm going to put the money toward getting my Ford 9" finished and towards the T5 swap. Located in Middle Georgia. This is too big for me to ship. Maybe you can work something out with some kind members and we can chain it to you. I really hate to sell it, but I am VERY tight on room. $600.00
View attachment 1715828629

With the Sure-grip in it, makes it much much stronger than the std open diff 7 1/4 rear end.

That's what fails ln the 7 1/4s is the light duty weak open diff and the cross pin working loose in the diff housing.

With the Sure-grip in it, makes it much much stronger than the std open diff 7 1/4 rear end.

That's what fails ln the 7 1/4s is the light duty weak open diff and the cross pin working loose in the diff housing.
Yes sir. This one is the Dana Powerlock with the 4 pinion spider gear assembly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back