7 1/4 suregrip?

-

player1up

Reaction score
Ok so I'm posting this in the /6 discussions b/c I'm sure no one would put one behind a v8.
Questions are: how easy are they to come by? where might you find one? could you swap out just the internals or whole axle?

I know the obvious question is not could you but should you. I don't plan on putting a v8 in my car for a "while" (years) and from past experience 7 1/4 rears like to chew up spider gears even behind a /6 ... so would a suregrip 7 1/4 alleviate the inevitable ka-pow, bang,bang,bang from the 1 wheel burnouts I'm so fond of.
OR should I just get another 7 1/4 to swap out WHEN mine explodes, OR OR keep the old eyes open for an 8 1/4?
keep in mind I'm just thinking out loud.
Thanks

Best of luck finding a 7.25 sure grip. They turn up once in a while. I just punted and put an 8.25 into mine. Sure grips for those are readily available new and used.

sb

Yes the sure grip would help A little. The valiant we just sold, 318 car came with the 7 1/4 and held up for 90,000 miles before breaking. We also know of 13. sec cars with the 7 1/4. dont know how long they last horsing around. We did up grade but not cause it broke. We went with the 8 3/4 for the quick change center unit. 8 1/4 WOULD BE FINE FOR SOME BURNOUTS, I'M SURE:-D

A 7 1/4 SG clutch type rear will take a lot more abuse then most people think. I have been running the same one since 1974. The problem is finding one. They don't turn up very often. Also the cone type are not as good, only 2 spider gears, compared to 4 for the clutch type. Most convert to a 8 1/4 or 8 3/4. I would prefer a 8 3/4, because of the ability to change gear ratios, easily, but the prices have gone out of site. Another option is the Ford 8 inch rear from a early mustang, comet, etc. 5 lug on 4 1/2 bolt pattern, spring perches the same as the "A" body, and same drtum to drum width. Drop out center, and reasonably priced. I found a 4.10 mini spool center at a swap meet for $200, and the complete stock rear drum to drum, for $100, in a salvage yard.

I 2nd the 8.25 axle.

I am just going to build mine to make it (relatively) bullet proof.

29 spline (97-up) limited slip
Moser custom axles
LPW diff girdle cover with bearing studs
Weld up the tubes
Also adding TSM disc brake kit.

-
Back