7-1/4 to 8-3/4 SWAP HELP

-

pastortom1

Reaction score
OK........

I got a nice 8-3/4 ready to go into my A-Body.....it's had the spring perches relocated, it's painted up and set up with new bearings and seals......

I KNOW I'll need new drums for the large bolt pattern, BUT what else from the Cuda will work? Will the backing plates and brakes mount up with no mods, or do I need a whole new set-up to fit this?

I wanted to get the rear ready to send to my builder so they can swap it, BUT I CAN'T AFFORD ANY SURPRISES..............

ALSO, I have only the shock plates that came on the 7-1/4.......none for the big rear.........WHAT'S INVOLVED THERE ??

I have NEVER swapped one out like this.........NEED some info. ASAP.......

You,ll need to shorten your driveshaft,get some 8 1/4 or 8 3/4 shock plates.E-brake cables can be made to work(I used mine on my 66 Dart)All the rest should work fine.

We gotta be clear here........

Unless I'm mistaken, the Cuda has 10" rear brakes on it already......NO? Did they all come with 9's ?

.......and if it DOES have 9's, WHY do I have to replace them with 10's ? I need some concrete here............

I just did a ford 9in to 8 3/4 swap. The 9in center section cracked. Anyway my driveshaft had to be shortened. Put the car down with the weight on it push the slip yoke the whole way in and measure center of the front u joint to the center of the rear u joint and give them that number. I don't remember what it was and it depends what setup your using too. That cost me 100 bucks with a new u joint. Shock plates I bought off a member on this forum for 40 bucks. With the shock plates you will need u bolts of course. And my brake set up is off a 79 dodge w150. Its 10x2 1/2. Don't forget bout the little stuff either. Brake lines rear end grease u joint etc. Good luck I just finished my swap tonight and it was worth every stressfull moment. You will be happy when your done.

What did the 8 3/4 come out of? You keep mentioning a cuda, if it is from a 70-74 it will be way to wide. If the 8 3/4 has brake backing plates and drums already on it then yes use those. Help me better understand what your doing here.

-
Back