7 1/4 to 8 3/4

-

THEWHITEZOMBIE

Mopars an Heavy Metal
Reaction score
Do u guys know if a 72 7 1/4 rear end is the same width overall as a 72 8 3/4 drum to drum?MIKE

according to "chrysler performance upgrades" by sa design the 63-72 7 1/4" rear is 53.2" and the 8 3/4" is 51.4"

all A Body rears seams to bee 51.4"´exept those 63-72 7 1/4!

I had a 73 7 1/4 in my 73 Swinger until i blew the spider gears out of it on a hard launch off of a stoplight. i was able to swap it out with an 8 3/4 out of another a body no problem.

As long as it's an A body 8 3/4, you will have no trouble with the swap..Some things to think about tho..I dont think the brakes(backing plates) will interchange, but any other rear w/10" drums will. Also, the shock plates are diffferent, because the axle tubes are 3" on the 8 3/4, and I think 2" on the 7 1/4. you will also need new U bolts, and if the 8 3/4 was from a racing car, the yoke may be larger(the u joint).

I almost forgot that I had to have a custom driveshaft made because the 8 3/4s third member stuck out farther than the 7 1/4s. You might be able to find an original driveshaft out of a 8 3/4 car with your same transmission, but i couldn't so I just had Dennys Driveshafts make me one.

Well i jsut got the new 8 3/4 in the dart the L60's still rub but not as bad im still looking inot getting new tires befor shes on the road,i checked an i gained a 1/4 in of room with the new rearend witch isnt mush but its somthin right, i put in all the brakes an everthing but the main rubber brake line into the y blockon the axle tube,someone messed with the breaks befor me an striped out one of the lille line nuts,no big deal,other then that the swap took about 10 min to get it all done an back on the ground
MIKE

-
Back