7.25 open rearend >> to suregrip posi. HOW TO.

-

stroker402

1968 dart GTS convertible
Reaction score
want to change to a suregrip gear set ...I have a 7.25 rearend open 2.93 ........and a another with a 276 suregrip unit in it ... How much trouble would it be to just switch the suregrip into the housing, using the 293 gears ?
world I have to mic/shim everything to specs again?
any advice would be great !
Thanks Guys !

You'd be better off with an 8.25 or bigger rear end. 7.25 rears are junk and not worth the effort IMO.

Yes . that is what I read up here on the site.. not to many people like these 7.25's .. the suregrips are stronger though....My brother an I had a bunch of dart and cudas over the years and never gernaded a 7.25 .........even behind a 340 .Guess we got lucky then. I think you just have to be conscious where and what kind of surface your opening it up on ... ... if it's a rough road, hit a pot hole .. or do a burnout over the RR tracks then you will break it for sure... WE even took a few of those cars the track and race then down the 1/4 mile.. always drove them back home 50 miles away.
Since I have both of these rear ends just thought I could build a nice 293 posi . without to much trouble and $$.

ohhh yeah weld the spider gears and poor mans posi i did it and when it breaks get another 20 bucks on cl..lol and randy ring and pinion sell gears we put 411 s in our it was fun until i had the douh for a better rear

ohhh yeah weld the spider gears and poor mans posi i did it and when it breaks get another 20 bucks on cl..lol and randy ring and pinion sell gears we put 411 s in our it was fun until i had the douh for a better rear

How hard is that to weld up?.......... Could I Weld the gear just by taking of the rear cover and weld it up? I have a mig welder .. or would I have to stick weld it ??
not even sure where the spider gears are . any pics of what to weld ? not sure .. Probally be real hard to go around corner then ..

How hard is that to weld up?.......... Could I Weld the gear just by taking of the rear cover and weld it up? I have a mig welder .. or would I have to stick weld it ??
not even sure where the spider gears are . any pics of what to weld ? not sure .. Probally be real hard to go around corner then ..

Probably break an axle shaft around a corner if you weld the spiders.

welded spiders work ok in straight line but not sharp turns

I'm going to see if someone can switch my posi unit into my 293 gears set.
That would be the right way to do things .

You might get away with swapping ring gears on the Suregrip carrier and bolting it into the housing containing the correct pinion. Cinch all the bolts down and break out the red lead. Actually the factory manual recommends Hydrated Ferric Oxide (Yellow Oxide of Iron) for checking the pattern to see how close it is. Definitely worth a try before screwing around with anything else, because checking the pattern tells you where you're at. The factory manual describes the whole procedure step by step, so you DO want a factory manual to follow, on hand, before you start.

You then discover if you got lucky and can get away with replacing the ring gear bolts with new (per the manual again, it also recommends new axle shaft oil seals and brake support plate gaskets) and pop the rear cover back on. It's also the point you find out if you didn't (get lucky) and get to completely set it up. That's probably when I would decide if it's worth throwing any (or how much) money at it.

The factory manual and checking compound should be considered "must have" additions to your toolbox regardless if you end up running it or junking it.

-
Back