7.25 Suregrip 3.23

-

Slantsix64

Reaction score
Just picked up a 3.23 sure grip for my 64 dart was wondering its the sure grip built a little tougher? will it have a little more torque better mpg etc what do you guys have in mind? i have a 3.23 peg leg in it right now. its going to go in with a rebuilt slant six with a 4 speed so i think there will be no way to break it

No, it's not going to be any tougher, or help MPG or torque. It will just keep one wheel from spinning when unloaded or on a slick surface. But I wouldn't worry about breaking it. They used to put them behind 273 4bbls with 235hp.

IME, the weak point is the axle seals. I think the tubes flex and put uneven pressure on the oil seal, or something, because I could never stop them from leaking. I finally gave up and put a 8.75 Sure-Grip in my fastback. But the lighter rear is a much better match for the slant. The one in my slanty 'vert seems to be OK.

I had a 7.25 with a 3.23 suregrip for many years behind my 318, 727 powered Duster. It withstood massive beatings, John Force style brake stands and countless doughnuts. This was until the diff began clunking and I decided to give it a reason to clunk with massive amounts of tire smoke. I eventually forced one of the pins in the diff to back out and smack the ring gear. I was able to limp home, but the 7.25 was dead. So basically they will last, but be careful of the amount of abuse.

Id call the 7.25 SG 50% stronger than the one legger just for the fact that the torque is veing split between 2 axles, I abused my small SG behind a 340 in my first 65 for 8 high school months with 10 inch tires to boot. Only thing that broke it was a neutral drop while rolling down a driveway backwards.. Boom..

hahaha Cool nice info the 7 1/4 are pretty tuff i have one behind in 4 spd 318 dump the clutch all day just waiting on that clunk!!!
i was wondering what weight gear oil would you guys recommend running?

The suregrip has 4 spider gears,not 2 like the open diff., it is twice
as strong.I spit the spider gears out of the open 2.76 7 1/4 in my '69 dart after I had
swapped in the 318 w/auto,I had an 8 3/4 SG 3.23 in there B4 I swapped in the 4spd.
If you're not running cheater slicks and sidestepping the clutch at 5K
you'll be fine.I was looking at putting the same in my '64 GT /6 auto,but I have an 8 1/4
unit handy,and I'm going to 4.5 bolt pattern anyway so.....
enjoy your ride and post some pictures!!

:coffee2:

-
Back